MA 11 action isn't exactly heating up

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by wadin' boot, Feb 24, 2014.

1. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Tide changes were convenient for a good midday fish yesterday. Birds bobbed. Eagles soared and made that sticky-sticky-sticky-sticky you'll-hear-me-before-you-see-me sound while sailing above. A family of otters moved by and to the north, I saw no seals but it's probably more the case that they see me than I them. Perhaps five yachts cut the passage in about 4 hours and apart from those small disruptions, the gentle wind died around midday to leave a surface dented like antique glass with intermittent light rain.

The happy din of resident coho crashing the surface and doing their thing was completely, absolutely, absent. It was five or so years ago, about the same date, same place, same tide shift where you coulda thrown a cotton ball with a hook stuck in it and had a day for the ages. That day of 40 degree rains and modest winds was neutralized by the whacky head shakes, cartwheels and acrobatics of dozens of resident coho. That tight-lined day has long since gone, my memory of it now in a state of dubiosity. Those released fish, are by now all dead and unable to corroborate the veracity, the genes to hunt here in Mid February apparently not passed on. The five or six subsequent yearly attempts were/are met with gloom, silence and solitude. Maybe this year they'll be there is a mantra that hasn't helped in years, doesn't stop me from saying it though. I need that faithful slogan printed on my beanie, seems particularly apt for all kinds of things other than fishing.

There was one fish caught on a very sparse chum baby flatwing. 14 inches of confident searun. At the very least, I'm on the boards for 2014.

So maybe I shoud retool the thread title, Roger Stephens style, with some poetic license... Lukewarm Early Chum Baby Action in MA11

2. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Great but sad post :( Gonna be a curious Spring.

3. rotato

rotato Active Member

I also tried to recreate some rezzie action at a southern KP spot
    The memories of multiple hook ups were silenced by the oppressive skunking
    Way to get a cuttie Boot
    I'm still looking for my February SRC

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Nice report Boot.
    Based on what I've seen the last three weekends, I think the resident coho are hanging out further north in MA 10 or 9.
    SF

5. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Been out a few times with very little success. I'm hoping for a better March and the chum fry. Ups and downs? Who knows? I just keep pounding the beaches and looking for the fish. But tomorrow is another good day.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  6. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

You're not counting flounder, are you Steve?

7. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Didn't see any sign of rezzies around the MA 10 KP beach my partner and I hit this morning. Only had one decent cutt to hand for almost 4 hours of effort.

BTW Boot, the eagles we saw landed in a tall fir right next to us and were way out of sight but with all the racket they were making we wondered if they were in the process of making eaglets! :)

wadin' boot likes this.
  8. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

NO FLOUNDERS!!!! Unless...

9. rotato

rotato Active Member

Eagles do it in the air

Saw schools of what looks like pink fry in the port of tacoma
    Tough to target fish when there is a tractor tug runnin at about 8000 hp