MA 11 Hatching

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Eyejuggler, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    After a long dry spell, I took the Kayak out to my favorite stretch of beach today and was lucky to have a slightly overcast day, lite breeze, and no crowds...not that this bit would have crowds but after my efforts to launch at DP last week, I gave up on the nut house and went back to serenity.

The SRC action was little to none with a few follows and an LDR on my usual lucky, Chum Baby style streamer.
    What I did notice was what appeared to be a huge flying ant "hatch" of some kind. I don't know how long they last but next time Ill be bringing some dry ant patterns because apparently that was todays menu :)
    Thousands of them littered the water and at first I thought termites...they may well be as my insect skills are basic.
    Some pics of the day and if you go out soon...bring some drys!
    I hit the water on the incoming to noon and a bit of the outgoing.

[IMG]

[IMG]

You can see them littering the surface...the seal is unimpressed.
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    constructeur and plaegreid like this.
  2. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 3
    I was out salmon fishing in my kayak today & saw the same insects buzzing the surface. Would be interesting to get a read on what species this is from one of the experts on the board.

The Pinks weren't interested in them.....

Tom
  3. doublebluff Go Beavs

Corvallis, OR
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    Great pics- what a trip!
  4. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +358 / 0
    Those are great pics.
    Did you see any cutthroat keying in on them?
  5. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Yes I did, not craziness but swirls every 15-30 seconds. Definitely feeding time.
  6. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +820 / 0
    JackD was supposed to let me know when they started hatching in his area, shoot me a message if you go again soon, I'll make sure we have flies to match.
    Eyejuggler likes this.
  7. Tony James Member

Oakbrook, WA
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Nice photos - fly fishing from a kayak - LOVE it! That's my mode of transportation too . . . crowds are a non-issue.
    Eyejuggler likes this.
  8. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 1
    Anyone know what are they are?
  9. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Termite vs Flying ant link. Perhaps this? I was thinking ant of some kind. But I do not know. I should post this in the entomology forum.