MA 11 The sound of silence.

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Eyejuggler, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +353 / 0
    Hit up Colvos passage today during the morning ebb which looked potentially awesome and had little if any wind, and appropriately no Cutts what so ever!
    Met up with Mark Mercer and we shared some sun and commiserated over the absolute lack of activity.

Everything looked great, even an abundance of Chum Fry tooling around in the shallows brought hope... to no avail.
    I did get my fish tho, a partially dried...Stickleback, I did toss it to the SRC gods in hopes of breaking the drought.
    It was an amazing Spring day out so regardless of the fish...it was very refreshing to be chucking flies without the monsoon thing going on.
    So if you can...get out there and savor the beauty of early Spring and maybe catch something, even a tan!

Beautiful conditions.
    [IMG]

Stickleback with one stickle.
    [IMG]

The buffet was full but no customers :(
    [IMG]
  2. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +377 / 0
    Was also pretty dry over in the canal today, Dave! I too was pleased being able to leave the Goretex in the vehicle!
    Eyejuggler likes this.
  3. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Seriously!
    Oh my gosh the weather was perfect! I should have brought the Kayak, but I had dropped off our Lab for some surgery, so it was just a good beach day.
    I was truly thankful for the calm for once :)
  4. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +377 / 0
    And I was referring to both "dry" fishing and the weather! ;)
    Eyejuggler likes this.
  5. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    Good job getting out.
    Maybe it is just me, but I can't stand fishing the local salt when you have mirror like surface conditions.
    I just don't have any confidence under those conditions. Give me a chop, be it coho, cutthroat or whatever you wish to call.
    How about you guys, notice any difference in your success rates with those flat conditions?
    SF
  6. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +265 / 3
    When it's flat or glassy, I literally head for another beach without even thinking twice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  7. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +332 / 0
    Where I fish I've noticed that chop or no chop doesn't matter much, where I fish the tide seems to matter most, sunny or overcast it makes no difference, it seems to be more of a tide thing, but where I fish ere is also lost of structure. But the hardest thing for me to learn is that different locations fish different. Some places I wouldn't even bother regardless of weather or water conditions, it's more of a lack of confidence thing on my part on what I call "plain" beaches. Just rocks, all the same shape (say fist size) but no other structure, just plain. I see people fishing it and I just can't help myself but look on in disbelief, I try and get skunked and wonder why I even bothered. Other people feel fine just casting to plain water w/o structure and catch fish too, good for them. :) I want to see larger rocks, boulders, water/creek channels, depressions, underwater "mounds", structure etc, river like flows and the like. But when I see people fishing at beaches like Seabeck I get confused, (i've fished there before with no confidence and have caught fish but more often I've left skunked) there's seems to be little to read structure wise other than seams which you can find anywhere where there's a current. If I see action on the water I'll fish, it won't matter to me what the conditions or geography is like, but if I don't see any action, I'd like there to be structure at least or a reek/river outlet.

All that said, given the opportunity I'd fish any water just to get away and get some solitude. So admittedly I've fished much water that I've had little confidence in simply because it was close by and easy to access on a whim.
    Eyejuggler likes this.
  8. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    My only day to get out so I took what cards I was dealt :) It wasn't all sunny, there was a breeze and the clouds passed to an fro. I definitely prefer a cloudy day with a light chop as well, but Cutts being Cutts I have caught my largest one on a bleak, hot summer day over sand flats, go figure! I do tend to get locked into "one beach syndrome" and I am seeking counseling to get this resolved ;)
  9. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,614 / 0
    I fished Colvos yesterday about when the rainshadow died, when the light wind turned ugly and the rain started in earnest. Enough to set a small landslide of rocks and mud behind me. There was a collapsing thud of a refrigerator's worth of bluff debris, well away from where I stood. three or four similar piles of fresh debris were close by. I caught nothing. I saw no chum fry. I watched one whole mature fir move north in the very middle of the passage with the tide. There was no glassy surface. Just misery. Rocks and mud and rain. A bad time.

I stuck round for enough of the ebb to realize the one strike I had was no strike at all, but instead a joke of a glacial erratic. A boulder right in a cast zone, about 30 times larger than the rocks around it. Imagine that, the one strike that somewhat sustained me for close to two hours was some intertidal joke. The pile worms and starfish and geoducks all chuckling at the dipshit in the waders in the rain with the rocks and mud falling from the sky.

I know that one beach feeling Eyejuggler, and because of it (and it part because I saw a Les Johnson post strongly recommending it) have commenced study of the Marshalls' now dated and out of print beach hikes of puget sound. It's an interesting book, its tone betrays a Cascadian Separatist mentality. Although hard to explain, it involves a deep mistrust of authority, a love of mountains rivers and sound, as well as a do-it-yourself sensibility combined with a mite of not really being all that prepared and yet remaining very confident. You can almost picture the Marshalls waiting out a high tide pinned against a bluff, smoking pipes and eating watercress and lentil pastes, jotting phrases in moleskins and shaking their fists at the no-trespassing signs that despite their true intent, would have saved them, if heeded, an unintended 3 hour drop-tide wait perched on fallen firs strangled in ivy. That or muscle cramping wet-wool and lanolin-musk + oilskin funk daydreams of kayaks and summer days without motorboats...As you can tell, I am working on the Marshalls screenplay (here's the where the voiceover kicks in ....that became a movement)
  10. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Very nice boot :)
    Alot of the times we get skunked ( sounds like sour grapes...but not) are really some of the best times for thought and observation, unbroken by the tug. Today was great; fine company, surroundings, sounds, visuals, and of course the ever interesting inner dialog.

I almost forgot but I was standing there stripping and felt something on my boot. I looked down in time to see a 7 inch crab crawl over my feet and continue on his way. I should have given HIM the stickleback, alas that might have been the key to pleasing the SRC gods. Opportunity lost :)
    There was also a huge crashing from over on Vashon, no clue but we looked for smoke or dust. Very curious.
  11. KevinLS Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    I know the feeling! But hey, for me if it keeps me focused and confident them I guess I'm all for those rocks. Good post.
  12. Speyrod GB Member

Tumwater, WA
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Looks like a great day to be out fishing....it was not pouring down rain. As the saying goes, the worst day of fishing is better than the best day of work.
    Eyejuggler likes this.
  13. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    As the saying goes, the worst day of fishing is better than the best day of work.[/quote]

I used to believe in that saying.....but as a carpenter one day we made $70 an hour, and 8 weeks ago surf fishing I tore my middle hamstring in two places......hmmmmmmm?
  14. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +476 / 0
    The book to which you refer was written by Harvey Manning and his daughter Penny. Ol' Harv did the hiking and his daughter helped in writing and and editing the book. It was published in 1995. I believe that Penny's married name at the time was Marshall and I'm almost certain that my copy lists her as such. But, apparently, later editions list the authors as Harvey and Penny Manning.

Copies of the book are still available from Amazon and other used book sources. Walks and Hikes On the Beaches of Puget Sound (1995, Mounaineers Books).
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  15. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,614 / 0
    Preston- you are correct- it is Manning not Marshall- apologies.
  16. Dizane Coast to Coast

Bellevue, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I think it's a matter of light penetration in the water column, or lack of. I've done well in dead calm conditions when it's overcast or dawn/dusk. If the sun is out, surface chop really helps. My first post here in a while.