MA 13 Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Can you get onto the beach there? I've been looking at that place; but never from my yak...

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Nice pic, boot!

3. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Yes. The whole area seems pretty shallow though.

4. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Okay; cool.... thanks. Now to find a place to launch from........

5. rotato

rotato Active Member

A pre game area 13 snack image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

olyfish, Tacoma Red and Stonefish like this.
  6. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

I would like to try this MA 13 place... I have only fished for SRC once since I've started fly fishing. And never attempted coho on the fly. MA 13 directions would be great but I recon any place I can get my line wet with the chance of catching something would be awesome. Anyone willing to pass on any info. I think I should add, I don't have boat. So maybe this makes me SOL...

7. High Flyin

High Flyin Member

There are multiple places that you can catch these fish from the beach. So, you're not SOL. Look at a map for Parks that are on the water and start there.

8. rotato

rotato Active Member

A couple of notes

I have seen good numbers of rezzies at different spots but this is the first time they came into my local hole

Fish are large for this time of year
    The coho were keying on something on the bottom
    It was essential to get the fly down to them

I tried a gurgler and received one swirl
    Switched back to the intermediate line (which is a pain in the kayak)with the classic chartreuse clouser and fish on

It was an hour after high slack when they became active
    A sandy /muddy beach with downed trees

He was adipose clipped and had an empty stomach
    Cheers

9. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Your fish reminds me of the response that John Steinbeck made when asked to comment on Hemmingway's Old Man and The Sea. He said something to the effect that he was more concerned about a fish that would fit in the frying pan than be put up on the wall. Yum! but where are the lemon slices?

Rotato: Thanks for pics. Also good advice for James.

James: Get Chester Allen's book on Sea Run Cutthroat fishing. Much of the advice and info he gives can be applied to coho. Good Luck.

10. rotato

rotato Active Member

I nixed the lemon slice and dill sprig photo
    I figured I would get flamed

11. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Bacon wrapped rezzie cooked in shallots will add some calories to the winter diet. Avoid if trying to lose weight.

12. eyeonafly

eyeonafly New Member

I'm curious what people's thoughts are on gutting fish on the shore and "recycling" the guts. I ask as i see that you probably bled but didn't gut the fish until you got home.

13. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Member

Fish guts on the beach generally last about 10 seconds before sea gulls take them. Any scraps they don't get, the crabs do. So it is not a problem to gut your legal limit of fish on the beach near the edge of the water, if that's what you are wondering, unless you are doing it where it will impact others enjoyment of the beach.

14. rotato

rotato Active Member

The guts of my fish went to the worm bin
    But I feed the crabs and bullheads too

15. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

+1.... gulls and crabs gotta eat too. I always clean them on the spot when I'm done. I just don't do it right in front of
    of a bunch of innocent bystanders.

16. olyfish

olyfish New Member

17. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

PM me which beach you got them at too as I am doing a little reach of my own!

Don thanks for your contribution to this fishery