MA 9-10/6 and MA 10-10/7

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Oct 7, 2012.

1. daveypetey Active Member

University District, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
  2. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    I'd be careful with too much exploring if your hoping for fish. It could turn out good or be a bust, but you won't know what to expect. Like SF said, I would concentrate on areas you know the best and have confidence in to remove more unknown variables as the run slows down.

I frequent a popular MA-9 beach: I have confidence in my abilities to catch fish there and I know where I've caught them (or seen them caught), which flies work, the retrieves that have worked in the past, the best tides for the location etc, etc, etc. So if I don't catch fish, I know (or think I know) it's because there aren't any/many fish around. I have an idea of when to call it quits or when I should keep at it.

On the flip side, if I go to a beach I've never been to (knowing the fishing is slow to begin with) I will be questioning all of those other variables and not concentrating on just catching a fish that happens to be rolling through.

So IMO, if you know a beach well and want the best odds of hooking up, stick to that beach. However, a backup beach might be a nice idea if the first beach ends up being dead.
    daveypetey and Nick Clayton like this.
  3. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +964 / 4
    Very good points Matt