MA 9 - 9/22

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Hit a MA 9 beach today with my son Tim AKA DimeBrite.
    We both ended up going 1 for 1. Tim got a very thick buck while I landed a hen.
    Mine hit a chartreuse over hot pink clouser and Tim got his fish on a pink over white clouser.
    Both takes were solid hard strikes with the fish inhaling the fly, so they are still actively feeding.
    Very slow morning with little tide move which was very odd. 8 foot change in the morning with little movement, much better movement with less then a 3 foot change in the afternoon.

By the way, I'm just joking about Tim being my son. I was asked by the beach loudmouth if he was my son. Man that shit makes me feel old...:D
    Nice day on the water other then having to listen to mister talkative all day no matter where you were on the beach.
    Here is a pic of my fish. PS Salt 173.jpg

2. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

I noticed that too. The tide just seemed to trickle in with no real movement. I got my two including my biggest this year to date, a nice 12 lb hooknose and his little 6 lb brother. First two males this week. Everything else were females whose eggs were fully developed. The big hooknose bucks arrived in Sieku this last Thursday, so they are headed our way. May have to hit Flagger this coming week.

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice work. I fished my local beach early but it was pretty dead. Same story tonight. Good tidal movement for us this morning, just a lack of fish. Went out again tonight same story. Hope things change in the am

4. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Fall\'s First Beach Coho.jpg

Dad (Stonefish) and I certainly had to work for strikes this morning, and sat watching the water for current for longer than I enjoy. It was worth the wait though when the silvers came within fly casting range (WHAM-JUMP-SPLASH). I love aggressive coho and late September brings the most memorable fishing. Brian's rod got jerked down so hard I could hear the grab. If only Mr. Beach Loudmouth would have shut-up for half a minute it would have been more enjoyable; my ears are still ringing with his B.S. Kudos to Brian for a very kind act on the beach today, it's not just about catching fish but being a good person:) .

Nice work Blktailhunter on landing the 12 pound silver, I've been trying to get a feeding ocean coho of that size from the beach for several years.

Tacoma Red likes this.
  5. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    Nice silver!

6. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Caught four wild fish trolling off Picnic Point and Shipwreck today, must be a fair number around in this part of MA9 right now. I heard of some larger (10+ lb) fish caught today during the Everett Coho derby.

7. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Nice report and fish! It seems there's a local loudmouth for every beach. It can be so irritating sometimes! As Nick said, pretty dead on this side yesterday. I only saw maybe 3 fish landed on the whole beach before 9. Good current and plenty of bait, just no fish.

8. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Yea I should joined you guys on Sat
    and I would have been Grandpa. People
    that talk all the time in a loud voice
    usually come from large families of mutant
    breeders with some cultish belief in a
    higher power that doesn't include silence.
    Nice fish Tim. You can't keep a good Beaver down!

Dave

9. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    Nice fishies! Sleeping through my alarm was a bad move on my part!

10. Puget Sound Pimp

Puget Sound Pimp Banned or Parked

Media:
    Those fish are well worth waking up for.

11. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Trolling flies or gear?

12. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Trolling hoochies and spoons. I wanted to go out early to bucktail flies or run my giant 6" herring pattern flies shallow (10-20ft) but my crew didn't get their act together till 2pm. Hope to get back out early to try some surface action with fly rods before it's too late.

13. holtad

holtad Active Member

What rod (length/weight) are you using/most guys using from the beach?

14. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I use a 697-4 Sage XP or a 9664S Redington CPS uplined with a 7 wt Airflo 40+ fast intermediate.

15. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This season I've fished a Helios 10' 6 wt and a Redington Link 9' 8 wt. I love the 10' length on the beach but prefer the 8 weight for putting the wood to angry fish and for throwing heavy flies long distance in the wind

16. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Sage One 9'6" 8wt with a Bauer Mackenzie Super Lite 4 reel and Scientific Angler Streamer Express 300 grain clear tip intermediate fly line. A 6wt would work just fine in most (but not all) situations from the beach.

17. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I do whatever SF and DB say! :cool: I've used my 9'6" 6wt Sage Z-axis mostly, but I think I'll be using my 9' 8wt Redington RS4 for the remainder of the coho season and for chum later on.

18. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

9' 6wt Sage Xi3 early season/pinks, 9' 7wt Sage Z-axis the rest and 9' 8wt Gloomis GL3 when the wind really blows/chum.

19. holtad

holtad Active Member

Thanks Guys. I've been out 3-4 times and am using a Sage One 9'6wt (an amazing gift from my future father-in-law) with a SA intermediate clear line on a Galvan Spoke reel. Seem about right for silvers but I can see how an 8wt would be helpful in the wind. 2+ hrs of casting and my shoulder is about to fall off but I know I need to work-out the beach casting technique since I grew up fishing mostly from a drift boat.

Still in the discovery phase and I'm looking forward to the day when I can post something similar to Jason about my first strike/hook-up.

20. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    Redington 9'0" 8 wt Super Sport
    Sage 4280
    RIO Striper Line in a 8 wt intermediate

The Striper line is fun to cast. It is not as aggressive as the Outbounds I'm used to casting but handles big flies and moderate wind quite well. If the wind is blowing @ 8 mph or more I'd go with the Outbound. It also, unlike most beach lines, has an intermediate weight running line which seems to help me get a little deeper.