MA-9 Report: First Blood

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by DimeBrite, Jul 15, 2012.

1. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Nicely done! Were there many fish showing? What size is that - I'm trying to calibrate my size guestimates for these fish.

I was thikning about going out before work tomorrow for a couple hours, but it's a good 1.5+ hour round-trip drive. I'd plan to fish maybe 5-7am. Tide would be outgoing just after high. Worth it or wait for another day?

On a side note, what's everyone's thought on keeping these fish? Wild vs hatchery, size, resident, migratory, etc? Coming from trout fishing I have primarily practiced catch and release through the years to preserve the fisheries. Right now we're catching resident fish correct? I have read that many of them die in the salt and never spawn, so it's not hurting the fishery to keep the occasional fish. Anyways, curious on people's thoughts and opinions on this. Sorry to hijack.

2. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    No, the fish weren't showing themselves but they were certainly there. In my opinion it would be worth hitting it early tomorrow...that is my plan anyway. I can't over emphasize how subtle their bites were.

Good questions regarding wild vs hatchery and resident vs migratory. I often bonk hatchery fish if of decent size regardless if resident or migratory. In contrast, there have only been a few occasions over the years that I've retained bona fide native fish. I posted the above picture knowing that I may be setting myself up for being flamed (because it is unclipped). However, I truly think these small (2-4 lb) early fish are all of hatchery origin, regardless of whether they are clipped or unclipped. I may be wrong...but I don't think so.

I too would like to hear from others on the subject.

3. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I figured that would be the general feeling about hatchery fish, but I wasn't sure how people would feel about these smaller non-clipped fish. To keep the fish pictures coming, here is mine from last Sunday. I am calling it my first "real" coho from the beach. The 2 prior were even smaller, but this one was big enough to stand out over the others and feel like I thought a salmon should. :)

[​IMG]

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    When fish checkers used to be more common on the beaches, I kept a number of unclipped fish that were of hatchery origin. A number of them indicated the presence of nose tags when the checker ran the wand over their head.

5. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Don't feel guilty, those unclipped fish are hatchery resident silvers, no eco damage. Later in August-October if you catch a beautiful tight scaled silver with an adipose it could be a wild fish worthy of release if you choose to do it.

Nice job on the silvers this morning Bill. The early bird gets the worm every time. I got the shakers.

6. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

7. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

oooppps that was a quick post! Anyway, Dimebright, i think that we had a conversation this AM? Red tahoe and fishless after loosing a hefty fish. If that was you,then it was nice to meet you and hope to see you out again sometime. by the way it neve picked back up aft the slack!

8. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Nice talking to you today ptphisher. Congratulations on hooking into the big silver, that must have been a thrill from your description of the multiple jumps (wish I had seen you hook up). You will be landing that first big salmon soon. Next time I fish that spot I'll look to see if you're there (and I'll bring an extra spool of 10 lb Maxima Ultragreen ;) ).

Tim

9. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    This was a great tip. Straight 10lb Maxima for a leader/tippet. So much easier and no knots to worry about or catch sea-crud. It cast the heavy flies nicely and I got way less casting-knots than I usually do (AND it was a pretty windy day).

Glad to hear about the unclipped smaller fish. I will happily let large unclipped specimens swim free as the season progresses.

10. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    Wind...

11. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Right? Never made it over to say hi but I was the one with the green stripping basket. 0 for 1 for me. Had a good take, a couple head shakes, then it was gone. Grabbed it maybe 10 ft off the beach. One little guy to hand and a what I think were a couple very light bumps. Saw a couple fish come to the beach though. One fly fisher got one and a one gear guy got a couple.

12. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    We'll do better next time. I'm not sure if it was the wind and the waves or what but the current flows never set up like yesterday. It wasn't a total bust though...I had a spunky little 2 1/2 pounder most of the way in before it came unbuttoned and a couple of other bumps early on. My casting is average at best but when the wind picks up my game totally falls apart. After hooking myself in the shoulder once (shirt, no skin) and bouncing a Shock & Awe off the back of my hat, I decided to call it a day. I some point I really need to learn to cast with my left hand or bring along my switch and go cackhanded.

13. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    I seriously need to get out there for an early morning session. Trouble is the ferry's run too late! Feel free to send me a PM if you know of an eastside PS beach that would be decent. I need to get my dose of salt.

14. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    good to know. now its time to fill my silver box already. :D:D:D if i ever get a chance to tie for my self hahaha

15. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    Did anybody make it out this morning?

16. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

DimeBrite is right. Clipped or unclipped, if it looks like a resident coho, its most likely a hatchery swag. I know someone who recently volunteered for the task of clipping hatchery fish. He told me that many "somehow" escape without actually getting clipped. With as many as several hundred thousand fish to be clipped, the clippers may get kind of in a hurry to rush them through the process.

Even an error of 5% unclipped on 100,000 fingerlings would result in 5,000 unclipped hatchery fish being released. How many of those survive?

17. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    1 for 6 this morning in MA-9. Lot's of people hooking up but lots of fish getting off. Seems to be the trend lately. I hooked in to a couple good sized ones but they didn't stick. Fish to the beach was about 2.5 lbs. 6 fish landed from what I saw. Oh, and the fish today was clipped but looked like the rest of the cookie cutter 2-4 lb fish I've been seeing (some clipped some not) which leads me to believe they're all ressies as discussed.

18. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

mtskibum, what was the tide doing if I may ask?

19. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Outgoing tide with the high at 5:30am. I had the first couple hits around tide change iirc. I wouldn't say the water looked overly "fishy" for the rest of it but there were somewhat consistent hookups.

20. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I was first on the beach today at 4:55. Wind was blowing fairly hard from the south, necessitating fishing off the north side. I had several 12-14" resizes, but nothing big enough to keep. As soon as the sun came up all activity stopped. I had one solid grab about 6:30 that was only on for a second, but after that it was dead. Did see one fish to the beach on the ubiquitous pink buzz bomb.