MA 9 this morning

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    Greg,
    That pattern would also work well with a looped stinger hook rather then extending the tube. I'm just not much of a fan of really long tubes to get the hook were I want it to be on longer patterns.
    An extra long loop is an easy way to get the hook placement at the very end of the fly. Hook changes are simple with the longer loop.
    I just buy the cheapest plated or stainless hooks I can find for the front hook since I'm going to cut them off anyway.
    Nice pattern by the way.
    SF
  2. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Or just leave the front hook point on if you don't mind doubling the odds of hooking yourself (or your neighbor). I tied this ugly but very functional clouser on two size 2 Allen octopus hooks. Both hooks have produced fish and one fish was double-hooked!

Attached Files:

3. vanvgj1 Yak fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Hey ten80 - nice to meet you on the beach. And yes, I don't have quite enough holes in my hands yet... so I'll leave both on a couple non-tube clousers and see what happens. It seems like it might also increase the fouling problems but if it works for you... I'll try anything.
  4. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +274 / 0
    After fishing both this week, I tend to agree with SF and think that I like a stinger setup better than an extended tube fly. Less fouling and it just seems to fish better.
  5. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,220 / 4
  6. Nick Clayton Active Member

Put my pram in the water at first light, and pulled out around 11. Not much going on at all this morning. Saw one other fly guy in a boat working the same area I was, and spoke to a guy in a pontoon briefly. Saw one adult fish all morning. I imagine it's just a matter of running into some passing fish right now, but I would expect to see a bit more going on there.

Was mostly interested in seeing how my pram did in the salt, and it was awesome.

Trying to figure out where to fish this evening, and thinking we may throw the pram in at another local location tomorrow instead.
  7. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +504 / 1
    With the tubes, leave it short and tie a non slip mono loop in your leader material the length you want your stinger and loop your hook on same as you would with fire line. Slide your knot into your junction tubing and you are good to go. Tie your fly on micro tubing or up your leader to 15# flouro to avoid your knot pulling through the junction tubing.
    vanvgj1 and SciGuy like this.
  8. Nick Clayton Active Member

Met up with ten80 at a local beach this morning where we threw the pram in.before first light. Fished till around noon before we had to head back so he could catch the ferry. Beautiful day for taking a pram out. Dead calm. Tide never really set up like we were hoping, but there were definitely some fish around. I did a little scouting trip to this same area yesterday and only saw one adult jump all morning. They weren't exactly exploding out of the water today but there were more fish around for sure. In the end we fished hard, missed some strikes, caught flounder, sculpin, and one tiny silver before Christophe hooked a nice 6 pounder that did not escape the net. Fn morning and encouraging to see some fish
    ten80 likes this.
  9. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +274 / 0
    Nice job! Sounds like a good morning in the boat.
  10. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Awesome morning in the boat indeed. Thanks to Nick for allowing me aboard his fine vessel. Will be tying flies with treble stingers to improve our hook-up ratios next time.... ok, just kidding, but those damn nippy coho evade even sharp stinger hooks and my wrist is sore from trying to set the hook so many times!

Sean- thanks for the good tip on rigging tubes. I have a few that should fish well and I'll try them with a non-slip loop to set the stinger farther back.
  11. Nick Clayton Active Member

It should be noted that ten80 uses questionable tactics...once he hooked up he used my poor innocent boat as a weapon of mass destruction, slamming the jumping fish into the side with a loud thud that pretty well ended that battle. Questionable tactics? Very. Effective? Yes!!!
  12. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    shhhhh! Don't reveal all my secret tactics.

I have to work today and am going through a bad bout of fishing withdrawal.
  13. Nick Clayton Active Member

You didn't miss much out here. Was the first one on the beach this morning but was not rewarded for my efforts. Hooked one good fish briefly early but was pretty dead for everyone while I was there.

On a side note.....my new waders leak. Yay. Contemplating making the trek up to pass for the afternoon.
  14. Saltman "Just Fish!"

WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    For those of you with questionable hook up ratios, have you tried any of the Owner SSW hooks? They are extreemly sticky. I am missing very few fish. Peninsula Outfitters has a good selection of them.
  15. Nick Clayton Active Member

I picked up some size 2 Owner hooks from Peninsula the other day. They are definitely ultra sharp, and an improvement over what I was using, but still not perfect when it comes to these nippy silvers.