MA10 Report: What to do when the pinks won't show...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Aug 12, 2013.

1. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    All ho's.

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Hos fo sho

3. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Yeah I just sold mine a couple weeks ago and already question that decision a little. However, boats bring a set of problems and hassles too. There's something to be said about the simplicity of beach fishing. I'm thinking I might also sell my 9' pontoon and get a kayak in place of the boat and 'toon.

4. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I have thought about a kayak many times but have decided against it mostly because this side of the sound is fairly crowded and I do not trust other boaters.

5. fish-on

fish-on Waters haunt me....

Kayaks rule! The design and fishability of kayaks nowadays are incredible. They are built lighter, faster and more stable. I use an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 and I stand and fly fish on it (all within reason). It tracks great and allows you to sneak up on the fish in places a boat can't get to.. And if you plan your trip well, you start to figure out your own "personal launch areas" to shorten your paddle time..

Tight lines.

John

Kcahill likes this.
  6. Nick Clayton

Media:
    There is certainly something to be said for the simplicity of beach fishing. I don't care if I had the greatest boat in the world, I'd never completely give up those sunrises on the beach. One thing I enjoy so much about this type of fishing is the simplicity. A rod/reel, box of flies, spool of maxima and my stripping basket and I'm good to go. The boat definitely adds some complication to that, which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. It is also a lot of work. Plan to add a couple hours onto each outing to account for maintenance for the boat.

That said, I love fishing from a boat. I love being out on the water. I love the freedom it provides. And, especially during a pink year, I love the ability to escape the crowds. I have a lot to learn about fishing from a boat. It's a whole different perspective than from the beach. But it's nice to have another option. It has certainly paid off for me this year.

Those kayaks are pretty darn cool. Not sure that it would work for my fat ass, but very cool anyway. Plus I'm probably too chicken to do too much with one.

Irafly and Kcahill like this.
  7. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I guess I just have some fear of fighting a fish and having a wake come up behind me and flip me over, or having some idiot that is not paying attention get to close to me before I can get out of the way. :\

8. Nick Clayton

Media:

That would be my problem too. I've encountered kayaks in some pretty interesting places this year. The guy who came across me out at Sekiu last week who yelled over to me "Which way to Sekiu" through the thick fog was probably the craziest. Most of the guys I see out have every piece of safety equipment available. I'm not sure this guy even knew how to paddle.

Kcahill likes this.
  9. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

At least he was out there getting after it though!!!!

Nick Clayton likes this.
  10. John Weston

John Weston Member

yep all the safty gear in the world but no gps to show where ya going. wow, that's real cool. enough said. tight lines
    Outlaw

11. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

This reminds me of an evening years ago at Pillar Pt... I was minding my own business motor mooching a cut plug herring all by my lonesome just at sunset, when I notice a couple of guys coming right at me at full throttle. They were heading west into the sun and the guy on the tiller apparently couldn't see too well. I shifted into reverse just in time to keep from getting smashed broadside. They swiped my bow instead and put a big dent in the aluminum gunnel and just continued on their merry way, never even stopped! It would have been disastrous for me had I not gone in reverse. My little 25 HP was no match for the a-holes mega motor and I couldn't catch up to them. I went back to mooching and caught a 29Lb. King that evening. Glad I was still alive to do so.
    Gives me pause to fish out of a kayak with a bunch of bozos with no boating skills in popular areas.

12. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

There are small hand held battery powered GPS, I have one I carry as back up in small aircraft and they are extremely accurate. You would be surprised.

13. fish-on

Haha, I agree. There are inherent risks in kayaking, some are even amplified. That's probably why I purposely chose a bright yellow colored kayak so I don't get ran over. I know I have no control as to how dumb or drunk the other boaters are. I just make myself as visible as I can...
    As far as waves are concerned, I have taken mine in extreme areas where you won't even take a boat, luckily I have not been swamped yet (knock on wood). Even got caught in the middle of several thunderstorms in the middle of nowhere and yak was going on reverse instead of forward....... I try to keep my head on a swivel expecially when I'm fighting fish and my paddle under my armpit to paddle to keep my yak perpendicular to the waves. It does take practice but anyone can do it... I wish I could say the same for my casting skills.

14. Tony James

Tony James Member

My girlfriend bought me a Wilderness kayak a couple years back and it has been the best gift ever. I can easily throw it on the jeep and throw it in the water - very little shore space needed to launch it. I very seldom venture too far from sight of a shoreline and attended self and buddy rescue classes to prepare for the eventual 'challenge' IMG_0559.JPG . If you try it, you will likely love it. If you spot surface activity 100 yards out, you can go to it. If the fish move, you can move with them. Plus you get the added benefit of great upper body workouts and super beautiful scenery - I highly recommend them!

15. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

oh god now im looking at kayaks, i need to stop coming to these forums ><

16. fish-on

Yes and Yes. One of the biggest advantage kayaks have is when you launch in an area that gets really dry on low tide and everyone is waiting for the water to rise, you just walk past everyone and get to your fishing grounds first..... Actually, you don't even need a boat launch...

I can't say enough about how stealthy a kayak can get. I've snucked up on beavers, sea otters, nutrias, birds, deer, rats and all sorts of wildlife. When fish are schooling, it's a lot easier to slide in there and get your cast. Don't get me started on how productive it is when trolling....

And when you're done fishing, it takes seconds to rinse it off...

Kcahill and Tony James like this.