MA9 skunkings

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Cole L, Sep 1, 2013.

1. I've hit picnic point and meadowdale about 4-5 times in the past 2 weeks and only got one pink in the first 5 min of the first day. I've hit them at low tide and high tide but have had no luck and no strikes other than some cutts. Anybody else had the same bad luck? Where are all the fish??

2. Yeah,

I had about two solid weeks of great fishing up until the 18th of August.

It's been dead since then for me. This is in MA 10. I was wondering the same thing today.

3. Skunked in MA10 two mornings in a row. I think most beaches fish best after high slack, especially Picnic. Tides will improve as the week goes on.

4. Lots of pinks moving through the west side of whidbey island last 2 days. Went out with my dad on his boat tonight and had a lot of fun casting to individual fish and trying to intercept them.

5. forget the salt for now, hit the S rivers, your only within 1 hr of them. mostly boaters are getting them in the salt, slow and low in rivers. have fun.

6. 1 hookup all weekend, all area 9, west sound and east, all tide cycles. Sloooooow.

7. Whaaat? Humpy run may have reached its peak, but there are BIG COHO moving in right now. That's a great reason to keep fishing the beaches! Also, the rain should make the rivers something other than slow and low this week. Plenty of options in the salt or rivers (and there's more than "S" rivers nearby) for fly guys!

8. I didn't see a pink all weekend, just huge coho..

Tony James likes this.
  9. I managed a big pink yesterday, and saw a fair number of fishing moving.

Also saw a huge king jump right out in front of me, which was very cool. It's so funny to be seeing little 4 and 5 pound pinks jumping. Then you see a swirl and think it's another pink until a double digit bronzed up chinook clears the water. I think I saw a glimmer in its eye that was saying, "Ha ha douchebag, you wish."

Jason

cwlinkem and Pat Lat like this.
  10. Good amount of coho around this weekend. Looks like the pink parade is slowing down some in MA 9. I saw a lot less jumpers this weekend the last.

With Labor Day over and heavy rain forecast for Thursday, I hope the beach crowds thin out as more folks head to the rivers or just give up on Beach Humpy Quest till 2015. ;)
    Coho prime time is upon us.
    SF

Nick Clayton and Jason Rolfe like this.
  11. Not always a bad thing...

12. Never a bad thing!

13. I saw a ridiculous amount of pinks about 300 to 500 yards off of Meadowdale Beach park yesterday afternoon - the most I've seen so far this season. Unfortunately, no jumpers within casting distance.I would imagine humpy hollow will be off the charts the next few days.

Also surprisingly, the fish seemed mostly split between heading north or south (maybe a slight advantage to northbound).

There were only 2-3 boats passing through the area. I'm now lobbying my wife for a kayak purchase.

bramwessel and Kcahill like this.
  14. A ton of pinks were moving through Mutiny Bay Saturday and Sunday. Not sure about yesterday, but did see a few jumpers when we were riding the ferry back to America (as the whidbey islanders like to call the mainland). The fish only seemed to come within beach distance an hour before till an hour after high tide.

15. I thought the same after all day on the water Sunday but my friend said yesterday had crazy numbers of fish at Bush Pt. More than any of his previous trips.

On Sunday, my catch was a lot of bucks showing their first signs of spawning.

16. I have only caught 2 pinks on the fly this year, and both really by accident. I've been waiting for my new boat to get out of the shop, but at this point I'm giving serious consideration to a trip to Whidbey to satisfy my urge to get slimy. Been debating taking tomorrow off work anyway....hmmmm....

Kcahill likes this.
  17. Let one 5lb coho go friday looking for bigger, which were jumping... only fish that night. Dad and I lost 3 big coho's yesterday while they did the headshake for freedom dance.. aerial show and all!!

18. Cole,
    Fish Picnic Point near high tide in the mornings this week starting Thursday 9/5 through Saturday. You will catch your pink salmon then.

19. PC right before high tide can be tough because of all the salad. Won't be difficult to hit it right after high tide in both the mornings and evening this week.

20. I'm going for coho! I've got my pink fix, I just wanna hear that drag scream and ruin some flies in the process. Still a coho virgin on the fly!

Damn my years of gear fishing...