Macro

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Brady Burmeister, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Have any of you fellas gotten into macro? I'd love to see your shots.

I'll kick it off.
    orange fly.JPG

10352784_10202930198074877_2593233932838684173_n.jpg

photo 2.JPG
    photo 3.JPG

2. Very Nice!!!
    Tough subjects to shoot due to very limited depth of field!

Brady Burmeister likes this.
  3. Yeah, these are all single shots. Eventually I hope to get into focus stacking so I can get better DOF but a steady hand can be very difficult with these fast moving guys.

4. Agreed....very nice work....love to see some more of your exploits!

5. We had the big hex hatch yesterday.
    IMGP4218.jpg

Gary Knowels likes this.
  6. Amazing....if you don't mind? What is your setup?
    I've never done anything this "macro", but I'd be interested in trying.
    Thanks again for sharing.

7. Pentax K-30. I play around with various tube and lens setups. This picture, and most often, I'm using an old Pentax A-series 100mm f4 macro lens, 49mm coupler, and an old M-series 50mm f4 macro mounted in reverse. A 100mm coupled to a reverse 50mm gives you 2:1 magnification. I think the fruit fly (second pic from the top) was those two lenses mounted on about 55mm of extension tubes. That gets more like 3:1 magnification. You definitely don't need to spend big dollars on lenses. And auto focus is pretty useless anyway at this magnification. A $10 set of extension tubes and an old 50 mm manual lens mounted in reverse can get you good shots.

8. Nice!

I do a little macro work but I am not into anything like your setup. I have an Tamron 90mm macro lens I picked up off of craigslist for a few bucks that I will bolt on once in awhile. I can't get anything like your shots.

[​IMG]

Brady Burmeister likes this.
  9. That Tamron has a good rep and is a good value among AF Macro lenses.

10. I'm not into photography per se, but I will sometimes take photos when I'm out scuba diving. Below are a few taken on an HP R817 in normal or super macro mode (closest focus at about an inch), with mainly manual exposure settings. Not as sharp or as uniformly well-lit as I would like, but not too bad for a point and shoot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kenneth

creekx, cabezon and Brady Burmeister like this.
  11. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Yeah, it will do a decent job. I usually shoot it manual focus and use live view.

[​IMG]

13. Hey Brady, not to derail your thread but have you ever used photo stacking software like Helicon Focus?

14. Not derailed at all.

I have not. I did download CombineZP cause it's free but I've yet to use it. I do everything handheld with live subjects at the moment and getting enough pics at slightly different DOF's to stack has been difficult so far. I definitely hope to progress to that eventually. Lots of people seem to like Helicon.

15. More mayfly eyes, and a moth.
    IMGP4321.jpg
    IMGP4372.jpg

creekx, wadin' boot and KerryS like this.
  16. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403492115.428323.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403492126.395700.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403492137.262091.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403492146.096919.jpg

17. Here is a shot recently done with the Tamron lens.

[​IMG]

Brady Burmeister and creekx like this.
  18. Wow. Great work all! I find macro the most difficult of anything I attempt, mostly due to the challenges of extremely shallow DOF and handheld vibration. I have a 20 year old Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro (same as yours Kerry?) Nikon mount that I shot with film and now on my DSLR's. I obviously need a lot more practice. Are you guys using flash on all of these to enable a quick shutter speed for hand-held? I'm always relying on daylight on the stream trying to photo mayflies, maybe that's POTP (part of the problem.)

19. Yes, always a flash, even in good daylight. Mostly because I get so close that I'm usually casting a shadow. Even if subject is in light I'll use flash for fill. But no shots are over 1/160 because my flash is just a manual non-high speed sync and Pentax limits the shutter when using non TTL non HSS flash.