Maiden Voyage

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Islander, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Islander

Islander Steve

Well for some strange reason I decided that I needed a pram. I need another boat like I need a hole in the head but Nick's little single seater was calling my name. Add in the fact he was willing to bring it over to Lone was just too convenient (Thanks again Nick). The weather was nice this afternoon so I thought I would hit Lone for a few hours. Got there around 12:30 and had it in the water by 1:00. The boat has some drop-down wheels on the transom and is extremely easy to move around and launch. It is very handy not having to mess with waders and fins but there is some down side as well. It requires more of a "set up and fish one area" type of tactic as apposed to the "cast & move" I am use to. It is a lot warmer than sitting in the water and has enough room to carry extra rods, cooler, etc. with plenty of room to spare. It rows very nicely and is stable enough to stand and cast. The seat is real comfy and the anchor system is super. I will need to add a second anchor set up off the back as I was getting dizzy swinging back and forth in the wind. The fishing wasn't stellar but I manged to net a half dozen in the three hours I was there. The fish are starting to move in closer to shore now and all of mine where caught in 8-10 feet of water. Most were on the full sink with my redhead nymph but I did fish chronies a bit since that what prams are for, right?? Picked up 2 nice ones on my herly bloodworm. Smallest went 14" & largest was 19". They fought hard and would take some nice runs. All but one looked healthy and bright, it had some strange spots on it. I was making mental notes of things to add or bring next time to make it more organized. I'm use to pontoon boats with pockets for all my crap. With the pram, there's a lot more room but I had stuff laying all over and it got a bit cluttered. I do have a question for you boat/pram guys. How do you unhook fish? With my pontoon boat I would just lay the net on my legs over the stripping apron (wearing waders) and have both hands free to remove hooks, untangle leader, etc. With the pram I found myself holding the net with one hand over the water and trying to do everything else with the other. A bit clumsy to say the least. All in all I think I'm going to like fishing from a pram and it will get good use on the south end lakes.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      4.4 MB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      2.3 MB
      Views:
    Mark Kraniger and Irafly like this.
  2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Jeez Steve, we've all seen fish, we wanna see the pram...:rolleyes:

3. Islander

Islander Steve

4. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Nice!

Sorta looks like a Miniature Chris Craft from the 1940s.

I sure miss my pram. It was not as pretty but it was fun.

5. Solitude

Solitude Member

Media:
    Well I guess that explains why Nick never responded to me when I have been trying to buy that pram.........

6. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Nice Steve! I'm glad you got the red rocket wet and it worked well for ya. That really is a sweet little boat. It is a bit of an adjustment going from a pontoon to a pram, but once you get used to it its hard to go back.

7. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Solitude, I offered to meet you at Lone and let you fish out of the pram to see if it would work, even had lined up some oars to borrow, but never heard back? I apologize, but after I never heard back I figured you were no longer interested due to budget restrictions and my desire not to come down in price yet. Again, my apologies if there was a mix up.

8. Solitude

Solitude Member

Media:
    Nick, Check this listing and I sent a PM. Also check your inbox. I immediately sent you a response and asked you to call me. Also gave you my number in the previous message......waited and never heard back all weekend. I could not go to Lone Lake, which is why I asked for you to call me, since you don't have a phone number listed........I certainly would have came up with the price for you pram, but could not get in touch with you to discuss it... Oh well...at least you sold it. I will keep looking.

9. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

As far as unhooking fish from a pram, all I can suggest is that you have the forceps ready to minimize fumble time (and needless exposure/excessive handling of the fish), and a net with a longer handle. One of the nice things about a sit-on-top kayak is how close you are to the water...basically the surface is well within handreach and you can keep the fish submerged until you situate your extraction tools. Much of the time I can lightly grasp the fish in the water with one hand and extract the hook with other.

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Nice report Islander. Jealous of the pram. I need a pram!

11. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Remember, in a pram you aren't going to lose whatever you drop. I usually just lay the rod down in the boat and either grab the fly with fingers or forceps. Of course, this first requires that I actually catch a fish.

Ron McNeal and Ed Call like this.
  12. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

I have a long handle large net that my friend fixed up for me I almost never have to take the fish out of water with the large net basket stays in water until I can unbutton the fly

Greg Armstrong and Steve Kokita like this.
  13. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Oh boy!

14. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

That looks like a mandate to improve your chironomid skills! Nice boat bud, let's meet up with some other pram guys next spring and cronie fish. I've been having a ball since I got a little more competent at it.

Ive

Islander likes this.
  15. Islander

Islander Steve

I'd love to Ive, but at this point transporting is a bit of an issue. If I go off Island I usually take the tin tipi so pulling it on a trailer won't work. I'm looking into a way to mount it on top of the truck canopy, so for now it's strictly an "island boat".

16. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    That boat........ Dang I wish I could have ended up with it!

17. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

A long handled net (31" total length) has been the answer for me as well (and the fishes well being), whether fishing from my skiff or pontoon.
    Mine was just broken in two places and can't easily be repaired. Because it worked so well I'm going to buy another long handled net with the clear rubber mesh to keep the fish unharmed.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  18. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

19. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

dblfly,

Yep, that'll work.
    It looks like he did a good job on the handle extension!
    Thanks for the link.

20. Islander

Islander Steve

Ok, I've got a long handled net, but do you just let the net float or lay it in the bottom of the boat. I hate to let the fish bounce around on the hard floor of the boat. If I hold the handle with one hand and the fish is flopping around in the net it's hard to get things undone with just one hand. I don't like playing a fish to exhaustion and they are usually pretty active in the net. Am I missing something here? :confused: