Maiden Voyage

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Islander, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Do what Jeff does. Let the net float.

2. What about putting a bracket on the side of the boat that could hold the net with the fish still in the water and leave you with 2 free hands. I would think it would be pretty simple addition to that little boat. Could put one on port and starboard really easily and have both sides covered.

I do something similar in my other pram with the occasional bigger or hotter fish. When I'm anchored up I usually pull my oars and lay them on one side of the boat to keep out of the way. So if I need two hands I just stick my net handle into the oar lock and then hold it between my thighs. Works well enough.

Just a thought.

3. Long handle net. Scoop the fish, set rod down, place handle under armpit, remove fly, let fish go.

Irafly and dbfly like this.
  4. I use a magnet, same type you would on a vest. Works beautifully on a float tube. Might work as part of the equasion on a pram. In any case, nice looking boat Steve!

5. It's funny, because when I started thinking about it, I could really picture what I did with the net while I was unhooking the fish. It was almost like I needed to head out to land a fish to figure it out. But then that old adage of "The act of observation, changes the results" chimed in. Luckily PT reminded me with his armpit post.

6. I bought a large wooden net and love how I can let it float with the fish when needed. I can also take a quick pick while only holding the tail and resting the fish on the edge of the floating wooden net.

If I never sit in a float tube again I will die happy! I hate them damn things.

Tackle can go in a good backpack with different pockets for tools - leaders - large box's in the middle of pack.

My net may be a little big for your pram but a little smaller one should work.

View attachment 34582 View attachment 34582 sexi steal 014.jpg sexi steal 036.jpg

Having the small camera around my neck and pliers handy it doesn't take any time at all

7. Islander,
    Here's what I do; Just keep the net and the fish in the water (this is where the longer handle helps while in a boat), set your rod down then slide your fingers down the leader to the fly and twist it out (use hemostats if necessary).
    Then, when the fish is chomping at the bit and ready to go just lower the lip of the net and let it swim out... make sure it's fully revived first.
    If it's not quite ready (you may need to hold it by the tail and let it work it's gills a bit, move the fish gently back and forth if necessary to get fresh water/oxygen to it's gills)- then let it swim out when it's good and ready.

8. Thanks guys, if the weather holds tomorrow I'll go practice my "netting skills". :D

9. Looks like your boat has a little higher gunnel than my pram so leaning over with forceps might be more tough. I have a Stillwater so think is lower to the water, like others I can net the fish with long handle then can reach the fish without taking the fish out of water. Might just take getting used to how stable your boat is, but not need dunking yourself over the side just to release a fish.
    I was lucky to find one of these long handle nets one day fishing and has worked great....thanks to whomever...
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Meas...=57965792831&gclid=COP9yt7KwroCFYM9QgodfSAAgg

10. dbfly, that is quite a link you provided! How about those "steel shot loaded leather fingerless tactical SAP gloves in black" for $26.05? It seems like they would be the hot ticket for teaching an unruly tweaker a lesson he would not soon forget.

Ive

11. Great for "bonking" hatchery fish!!:D

12. Only need those when pitching metal and power bait

13. Went back out Monday. The fishing was a bit slow. Did get a couple on Chronies and a couple of the subsurface "finners". I did have a chance to play a bit with different methods with my net and having both hands free to release the fish. Came up with this set up that worked the best. I just need to get a smaller strap to put a bit more tension on the net handle. I just lay the rod down, lay the net across the boat rails & rod holder then secure it with the bungee. The net basket is deep enough to keep the fish in a bit of water and allows me to easily take care of the fish.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      4 MB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      3.9 MB
      Views:
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  14. The net I use is approximately 22" in diameter with a shallow rubber basket. I'm usually able to lay the rod down with slack line, choke up on the net handle, lean over a bit and unpin the fish. Even with 2 flies I seldom get tangled in the net basket.
    The leaning over part definitely depends on the stability of your pram.
    I plan on going out to "practice" tomorrow just to refresh my memory, I'll tell my wife it's in the name of research for you.

Islander likes this.