Mainer looking for some steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by clint robbins jr, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Steelhead are easy to hook, and hard to land, even harder to find. If you find a player you'll get bit. Hiring a guide really helps on finding players.

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Try not to be a dipstick. The rivers that are currently open for fishing are open for fishing...as has been determined by WDFW. Besides aren't most of the COWS members hell bent on ridding all waters of hatchery fish...you know, the ones that don't take swung flies and put up a lousy fight ;).

3. inland

inland Active Member

I don't know...those rivers are barely making escapement. What about the risk? What about the fish handling of those catching fish? What about the fish that end up in the nets and sold at the fish market? What about the legal harvesting of wild fish from the sport anglers? Are you sure these fish can handle the evil C&R fishery without driving them to extinction from C&R?

4. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Funny stuff.

Go Sox,
    cds

5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Wouldn't have thought it possible, but I think you're getting it. See ya all on the Cowlitz.

6. inland

inland Active Member

Yeah, but what about the risk? There ARE wild fish returning to the Cowlips. Isn't the risk too great with the fishing pressure brought on by the fake fish in the fake fishery?

7. Josh P

Josh P Member

Do yourself a favor and pack a ugly stick. Roe can be purchased here. If you think a winter steelhead on the fly is easy you got another thing coming.

8. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Bring the 8wt and a selection of sink tips. Or you can nymph weighted flies. Fly selection is the last thing to worry about.
    There's lots of good steelhead streams close to Lake Stevens. They will all be closed to fishing when you're here. Plan on driving 4-5 hours to reach the open rivers on the coast.

9. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

I think everybody is just trying to give you realistic expectations. If you are happy to go out and enjoy some nice scenery and fish some pretty water with a very very very low chance of hooking anything, you'll have a great time fishing for steelhead. Even experts can go weeks without touching fish, so when a yank comes out to the west expecting to catch them, said yank is likely to be disappointed. Many people get frustrated with steelheading because it can be many outings without fish, usually the weather is cold and miserable, so its definitely not a sport for everyone. Nobody is trying to haze you, just giving you the truth. It would be a bit like catching a flight to Mexico City and saying that you'd like catch a permit - we can tell you which direction the flat is, but you might need a boat to get there, and once you're there finding & catching those permit can be tricky...

That said, from Lake Stevens, the nearest rivers that will be open and legal to fish for steelhead will likely be on the Peninsula, the Sol duc, Bogachiel, Calawah, & Hoh are some of the most popular and have some of the best runs. Generally speaking, after a big rain, the first three fish better, after a dry spell, the Hoh fishes better.

As was already mentioned, you'll have a way better time with a guide. He'll put you on fish as best he can given the conditions, take you to places you never could have found on your own, and keep you safe. Some of these rivers can be tricky to wade due to glacial colored water that is difficult to gauge depth, large loose boulders as bottom substrate, and high fast water. There are lots of great guides over there, and 200 bucks is a small price to pay considering what you will be spending on gas, and spending on flies and a rod and fly line that would be appropriate for these fish.

You will almost definitely want an 8 weight, not only due to the size of the fish, but the heavy lines and flies needed to fish for steelhead.

You will probably want a sink tip or versi-tip system to be able to swing your flies in at an appropriate depth.

Or, find a guide that provides gear, and let him worry about it. lol. I haven't hired many guides over on the OP but Bob Triggs of Little Stone fly fishers is a very knowledgeable guide, and would be a good choice to show you around. Plus he's a member on this site so you can just PM him.

If you have any specific questions, PM me, I'm no expert on the OP, like many others here, but I could try to steer you in the right direction.

10. clint robbins jr

clint robbins jr New Member

Ok no hurt feeling. You all made it seem imposable so I was trying to stir the pot a little bit. I don't really need to catch a steelie. My father inlaw (who no longer lives there) told me some places he fished for 20 yrs or so and it sounded fun. I'm just happy being at the river catching some fish. Don't care if its pirch (joke). Cut throat sounds like a fun fish to catch also. And when do the salmon run? I've only been fly fishing for about 2 seasons so steelies might be out of my reach right now. Plus I'm bringing my 8yr old who I want to get some 2.

11. clint robbins jr

clint robbins jr New Member

Ok no hurt feeling. You all made it seem imposable so I was trying to stir the pot a little bit. I don't really need to catch a steelie. My father inlaw (who no longer lives there) told me some places he fished for 20 yrs or so and it sounded fun. I'm just happy being at the river catching some fish. Don't care if its pirch (joke). Cut throat sounds like a fun fish to catch also. And when do the salmon run? I've only been fly fishing for about 2 seasons so steelies might be out of my reach right now. Plus I'm bringing my 8yr old who I want to get some 2.

12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Most of the rivers are closed until June 1st. That's just the way it is here. Lakes open up a bit earlier, Usually the 4th Saturday in April. There are waters open year around so you'll need to check the regulations to make sure the water you want to fish is open. One of the things I think that bugs us all is that the reg book is thick and there are so many "special rules" for various pieces of water. We also know trhat fishing isn't just about catching fish so be sure to adjust your expectations accordingly.

13. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

i can understand why someone back east woiuld think that steelhead arent that difficult. much closer to maine, the great lakes are a whole different story. thing to remember is that "steelhead" in the great lakes are really lake run rainbows. there are not anadromous fish, and they are all introduced, not native. easy to confuse steelheading with "steelheading" imagine if some people had their way, and hatchery contributions were 100 fold in the nw. eventually some of those fish spawn successfully, and soon you might have an incredible fishery for hatchery/non native wild fish, but truly wild native fish would be pretty mutch extinct. that is the difference in the fishery imho. the difference in the fishing is, guys back there are used to much more catching, less fishing.

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you'll have beginners luck. Two great days on the river and not a single tug. Really good weather and water conditions. Flows are nearly perfect and the confident casting has presented the fly well. Tomorrow will be the day.

15. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

every swing without, makes the next tug that much more electrifying .