Major Geeks and Bloody Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutman101, Sep 9, 2002.

1. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:
    I would love to hear the story on the bloody mary. I forgot that it was from Yakima. Could you please tell me everything I ever wanted to know about that fly? It seems to be catching on like the lightning bug but even more so. I love to hear where people come up with their history of a fly. I remember when I used Al Troth styled caddis flies but now its all trude caddises in my fly box. It would be nice to hear about the fly from the horses (or trout's) mouth.

Thanks,

TM101

2. Chris Bailey

Chris Bailey Member

I can't remember the guy's name, but it doesn't surprise me that one of his flies has caught on so well. He owned the old Ace hardware store at 56th and Summitview in Yakima until it closed a few years ago. I met him a few times as my dad was an aquaintance and worked there for a while before it closed. I speculate that it was his devotion to flyfishing that led to the demise of his hardware store. He gave my dad and I a few flies once and a while and they were amazing. He was very proud of his bloody mary fly and the fact that the design was being produced. I think Umpqua or Kaufmans bought the design or committed to buying certain quantities or something like that, but I'm really not sure. This doesn't help much, but maybe someone else will know who I am talking about. If he is selling flies, buy them as they were very well tied and durable. I think he used to sell some flies to Gary's Fly Shop in Yakima. I really don't remember what he said about the actual design or purpose of the bloody mary fly. I think it was intended as more of an attractor than an actual immitation. I would be interested in knowing where they are available, as I live in Seattle now. Thanks

3. Native

Native Member

The inventor's name was Darrell Smoot (owned Smooties on Summitview in Yakima).

You can get them at Gary's in Yakima and also Hillsdiscountflies.com has them.

They work.

4. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:
    When I was working at Creekside, I remember meeting the guy that submitted the fly to Umpqua Feather Merchants but I never had a chance to pick his brain. Currently, I have no idea who is assorted for them. I can only guess K-Man's and Geekside is assorted for them but I never buy flies.
    In case you want to know, all you have to do is submit a pattern to Umpqua and they will put it through a few review boards to see how the fly fishes. They also check to see how easy one of their tyers can tie the fly. They also check on availability of materials. It might catch fish but if it takes 2 hours to tie a dozen of them, it isn't worth thier time. If the materials are not marketable, they won't bother with it either.
    I was kind of hoping that Major would know.

5. Chris Bailey

Chris Bailey Member

Hey, thanks for that. It is all coming back to me. Darrell is a nice guy and I am glad that his fly has caught on. I'll have to order some from Hill's. Thanks.

6. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    What do I know? I can't even catch a decent fish.

I'm interested that there's a Roza Mike. Maybe I should be Naches Geek, since that's where I hide from the weekend crowds.