Make your own 'Welded' Loops

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by troutangler, Dec 7, 2008.

1. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    Radioshack has tons of shrink tube in clear/black/red/yellow.

It is also very very cheap.
  2. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    for welding your own loops you need clear because you need to watch your line melt.
  3. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    I realize that. I just thought it was worth mentioning that there are other colors available for other applications.

BEST WALKTHROUGHS FOR THIS: http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1536

AND SLIDEHOW HERE:

http://www.hooked4life.ca/glsteelhead/Making_Welded_Loops.html
  4. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +356 / 0
    A few notes about braided mono loops. I have used such loops for many, many years without a failure. They have worked well for steelhead fishing and for such saltwater species as dorado and sailfish. I've often heard it suggested that the mono braid overlap the line by as much as nine inches but have consistently overlapped mine by as little as three inches (again with two monofilament nail knots) and, as I said above, have never experienced a failure. I have never used any glue, Goop, Aquaseal, etc. and have some connections that have been used for twenty to twenty-five years without any apparent problems.
  5. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I followed the steps at this site http://www.nwsalmonflyguild.org/inst/Welding a Loop.pdf and over the course of a weekend I wound up chopping up an 8/9 delta spey, 9/10 windcutter, a SA XLT, an Ariflo NW Skagit head, and repaired the broken loop on my CND Skagit head. All of the loops held as advertised and it would give the impression that I actually know what I'm doing.

The only one of the lines that didn't fit what I was looking for was the XLT but that's more because the line is currently beyond my casting skill than the fact that I cut it at the back and welded the loop.

It's kinda cool being able to quickly change from a Skandi head to a delta spey in about 5 minutes using the same running line. :beer2:
  6. Mark Speer It's all good.....

Clarkston,WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Is there a specific diameter shrink tube that you use for the different line weights? For 8 weight line would you use the 1/16" or the 3/32"?
  7. Mark Speer It's all good.....

Clarkston,WA
    My loop failed were the line and loop butted together at. I noticed a difference on a cast and stripped it in and found the failure. I will continue to pack them for emergancies, but I think I'm going to try the welded.

8. SPEYBUM Member

CARNATION, WASHINGTON, USA.
    If you loop is pulling apart look at your Shrink tube sizing.
    You will want the shrirk tube to have a interference fit over the loop.
    It should fit snugly without wrinkling the shirk tube.

The shrink tube is a holding fixture much like a vise it will force the plasma from the Parent material to flow together.
    If the shrink tube is to large you will not get a good bond and if to tight the heat transfer will cause core separation. The lord only knows how long it took for me to figure it out.
    Now I am welding lines together instead of using needle splices.
    Takes time.

:confused:
  9. Gray Ghost Member

Flowing Waters
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    I been using Aquaseal spliced core loops the last couple of years as my prefered loop for my fly lines. Only drawback is the loop can't be made with mono core or intermediate fly lines, you need a braided core, on these lines I still use Gudebrod Braided Mono outer spliced loops. Some of the reasons I like the Aquaseal spliced core loops better than the welded or outer spliced braid loops are: Slides through the guides the best with out any hanging and is the most flexible, welded loops are a bit stiff at the welded area. You are pulling core to core, which protects the outer finish and less likely to crack, which the welded and outer spliced braid loops tend to do over time at their base. I think they will last the longest and are the strongest. You are using the chinese finger trap principle, but on the inside of the fly line. I use Aquaseal as my core glue and as my loop stiffener, some use Zap-A-Gap but I find it is too stiff. Aquaseal when dry has about the same flexibility as a fly line and is very durable. Jack Cook has the best step by step tutorial I have seen. I wish factory loops were made this way with a very light finish on the loop. They would be less stiff at the base of the loop and the loop it self would colapse a little easier to slide through the guides better. When I loop one of my loops to a factory loop, the factory loop hangs up a lot more in the guides than my loops do. Well I'am done rambling, just a few things I've discovered about fly line loops the last couple of years.
  10. Bill Kiene New Member

Davis, CA
    Gary Anderson, Anderson Custom Rods, in southern Oregon has offered to teach us how to make welded loops. We are heading up there soon to get a hands on demo from him and Steve Godshall.

We have been making our own custom braided mono loops for some time but the welded loops seem much cleaned and Gary says they are much faster after you get on to it.

For Blue Water we might still use braided loops though.......
  11. FlyShopKristin Going Online

Monroe, Wa, USA.
    Sorry to post late on this string, I've been out of town...

Ian posted a great set of Welded Loop Instructions from Jack Cook. (link HERE).

At AATF we've been welding loops like crazy, - if you're in the area, stop by for a demo to see how easy it is, or if you have any questions. We'd be happy to help anyone get started.

In the shop we've got kits that include the heat gun, or just the tubing if that's what you need. Its all available through our online store, Irish Angler too.
  12. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I would definitely take Kristin up on the help with getting started welding loops, Ron helped me with the first one and then I followed the instructions on Jack's website for a reminder on what I was taught. After that no line was safe from me :D well my GPS lines are safe but that's cuz' they spensive and they work fine just the way they are.
  13. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Dan Blanton's braided loops rock! I've used them for more than twenty years on all kinds of game fish up to blue marlin. They do not break, break your line or fray easily. And believe me, dorado, sailfish, black skipjacks, or marlin pull one helluva lot harder than anything in this hemisphere -- except maybe a foul-hooked sea lion.
    Cheers,
    Les Johnson
  14. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Or maybe an anal hooked chum spawner?

I saw a lot of guys hammering those the last few days on the Nooksack!

The action was non-stop for them!
  15. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +114 / 0
    Can I use the thermo welded, shrink tube method with T-14? What is that material?
  16. spanishfly Steelberg

Issaquah, WA, USA.
    I’ve watched Aarron loop up a couple of my lines from a spey line to an older Sage double taper 3wt. Some of the newer lines already come pre-looped but I have had the loops crack. Having the shrink tube and heat gun is an easy fix. IMO Sure beats having the mono loop…