Making fancy cork grips

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Wadecalvin, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

I posted this on the speypages site- anybody know how Bob Mieser Makes those fancy flairs on his cork grips- mine are just starting to get better- but a tad on the sterile side comparatively speaking.

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Calvin, are you talking about the shape of the grip or the material variation that he uses?

3. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

I'm mostly talking about the shape of the grip - I really like how they flare out at the ends- convex on the outside and concave on the inside- seems like it would be a tad easier to turn on wood than cork- although I have very little experience.

4. CC898

CC898 Member

a good madrel and a few shapes made of wood, covered with medium sandpaper works wonders to get complex shapes in cork grips. With the right setup you can acheive just about anything.

5. Buzzerooni

Buzzerooni New Member

I cut out a block of wood on my bandsaw shaped close to the final grip shape that I wanted (in mirror image of course), then glued some coarse sandpaper too it. I just push, wiggle, and work this down into the cork to get the shape close, then finish it off by hand.

6. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

Thanks for the tips- posted some pics here