making my own packable raft

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by uncoolperson, May 9, 2009.

1. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

they inflate with manual or automatic triggers, the most flotation of one i've seen has been 40 pounds, if you go in with a coat, waders, clothing under waders, and boots 40 pounds isn't going to matter much. even with waders alone it will not help, or much at all. sadly the only way to save your ass is to use it and cut the waders off, don't worry about your leg. cut with the grain not against it.

float coats are bulky and not for hiking but they will pull up an anchor, thee is foam in the back chest and sleeves so i think they are the best. and they are very warm!

2. uncoolperson

uncoolperson *splash* *splash* *splash*, I need a life vest

I was thinking super slacker raft inflation.

3. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

:beathead::beathead: i thought you were talking about life jackets because you keep mentioning you will be on your own.hahaha i have never tried that but i don't think it would be very economical because they are heavy and about 50cents each. there is no way to re-fill them a double action hand pump is pretty small but kind of heavy, the k-pumps are supposedly light? or you can blow it up with the lungs.........hope you don't smoke or that could be a little harder!

4. uncoolperson

Well, I think I'm going to give up for the summer. Time to start fishing and stop playing with my project. Perhaps wait until winter (after deer, pheasant, and duck season of course)

Lessons learned
    Alpca, well worth it... costs lots (to me anyway) but an at home build costs some too.

I'm in easy 40+ hours (design/build/fix)
    materials were $100, add 40 for aquaseal
    $40 R&D materials, 6-pack of beer for R&D
    4x take out dinner
    additional 4 6packs of beer

add another my guess easy $100 materials and 20 hours build time plus $50-$100 hardware for the next build.

Lessons learned, think through and maybe non permanent mock up the build prior to building... make sure my methods will work.
    This proved a problem working out the seal that turns all the flat pieces into tubes, I connected everything together hoping to fold then seal up.... that didn't work had to make those seals in tension rather than shear (I was warned about the seal style, but i was stuck).(mine were shaped like { )

Work out a better idea than a piece of wood and a clothing iron, didn't seal the pieces together nicely, fought with that for way too long.

Figure out supply of aquaseal and the fancy accelerator, sure the company's headquarters are in my town.... but they're closed on weekends.
    Also, get more brushes, nothing gets it off the one brush in the package.

5. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    If safety is a concern a float tube is way safer than a raft in still water. There's just no comparison, and i speak from personal experience. Even the law recognizes this as a PFD is required for rafts and not for tubes. Breathables and fins don't add much weight since you won't need oars.

6. mjb

mjb Member

Good ideas here. My question - has anyone looked at modifying the Sevylor backpacker raft to work like a Watermaster? Any ideas about how to reinforce it?

(Sevylor on sale at REI this week.) thanks, Mark

7. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Back to first things: what, exactly, is so wrong with the Sevylor backpacking raft?

It supports even my 240 lbs. in comfort. Padding the floor with clothes keeps out most of the chill; an inflatable, or closed cell foam pad would be even better. About 4.5 lbs. including paddles. Inflates easily by breath. Tricky to launch in or disembark from, but even this old wallarus can usually manage it without shipping water.

8. mjb

mjb Member

Mack, nothing wrong, just think it would be more manueverable and easier to fish from with fins, and easier to enter/exit with a hole in the floor. I haven't looked at the boat - if the floor is inflatable, my idea is probably a nonstarter. Mark

9. uncoolperson

Got me the Sevylor after my failed build.

My only negatives are the valves and the room (granted my design wasn't going to be much bigger).

The valves, to me kinda scary, begging to get pulled out. And way too small, takes a while to fill. However if they did get pulled out that small valve would provide me with the 20 seconds to fix it before I went swimming.

and well, not a lot of room. Though me shifting around to do this that and the other never felt like I was gonna flip it or anything.

But if you use the paddles like the book says to (like you're skiing) you can get a pretty good clip going, though direction like any small raft is a little rough.

Small enough that with a spinning rod and a small rooster tail you don't need to paddle around much, just fish in the direction you want to go (one cast in to shore, one out, one to get the boat facing the right direction again, repeat)

10. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

I will be heading into the mountains in early August and I believe this is what I am going to be going with.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10928132&findingMethod=rr

Has anyone had any experience with these?

I like the fact that it has 4 air chambers which makes me feel safer and the price is very nice. 4.3 pounds is the ship weight which is more than a Curtis raft but it is really hard to find those right now.

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Chris just posted that PT replaced the stolen watermasters and that he might be adding an Alpaka to the gear demo lineup, there is a pretty low pack weight on that thing at 6lbs. I agree with you Krystoff that having four separate chambers makes for some additional security. Best of luck on your upcoming alpine adventure.

12. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

I can't wait! I have been making plans for the last year. So much so that I think I am over planning/thinking this thing and just need to get up there.

13. uncoolperson

I want an alpacka, though the cost associated would better than double my hike in fishing gear.