Making the best of conditions

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Paul Huffman, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    I walked almost a mile to a well known hole that is so slow and deep it is best fished with an indicator. As soon as I got there, I was in the shade, and the wind started blowing hard and erratically. Thick grasses on the bank hid rocks and branches, so I stumbled and tumbled into the water, breaking the ice shelf. Each step out from the bank broke the ice, and my foot would land uncertainly on beach ball sized rocks obscured by thick grasses and submerged Russian thistles. I stumbled precariously out to try to clear this eddy with my bobber rig until I was standing ass deep in this eddy filled with these prickly tumbleweeds over an uneven bottom. The other bank was still brightly lit in orange, making it hard to see my bobber. The big waves and dark water were also making it hard to see the bobber. I tried several different colors, finally settling on an extra large pink bobber. The Russian thistle kept grabbing my running line and rig. The stiff wind made it hard to cast out to the gut of the run. The large bobber made it harder. The erratic nature of the wind made worry about hooking myself. Most casts landed short.

There was a whole lot of cussing going on.

On top of it all, then my rig got stuck on the bottom. I reeled in and was somewhat relieved to find out the snag was slowing coming up. A bunch of pondweed came up, but, hey, there was a tail flip! I have a fish on! A nice hatchery hen!
    url=http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...xpensive-oregon-non-resident-license&cat=505][IMG][/url]
  2. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
  3. JS Active Member

Ratings: +41 / 0
    Deleted
  4. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
  5. Slate Run Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +33 / 3
  6. JS Active Member

Deleted
  7. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    JS likes this.
  8. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +986 / 0
    nice fish. how much are 2014 non resident oregon licenses? gotta get mine soon...dreading it
  9. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    there like 180 plus
  10. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    Congrats Paul, persistance is rewarded from time to time.
    You earned that one.
  11. JS Active Member

$116.00 if you want to fish for steelhead or salmon.
  12. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +986 / 0
    Hmm thats not too bad. I spent like $55 for a 4 day pass on the deschutes. Figure I'll go there 3-4 times this year, I won't feel too bad about $116
  13. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +879 / 0
    Nice fish! I may hafta make the drive to the big "O" this year myself!
  14. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    With Columbia Endorsement, catch reporting card, dealer fee, and credit card fee it was $145. $20/lb. for me so far in 2014.
    David Dalan likes this.