NFR Malaysia Flight 370

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Mar 17, 2014.

?

What Happened to Malaysia Flight 370?

1. Mechnical failure and crashed

20.3%
  2. Highjacked, landed, and being hidden

40.5%
  3. Highjacked and crashed

39.2%
  1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    This is becoming more of a head scratcher everyday. Pretty amazing that no trace of a 777 aircraft is found after 10 days. With all the satellite coverage, constantly capturing information and imagery, one would think there would be something by now. What do you think happened?

royalcoach likes this.
  2. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

Flying the middle of the night doesn't help when it comes to visual eyewitnesses and satellites (especially if nobody was actively searching). Initially thought that the plane suffered some catastrophic incident mid flight. With information now that radar tracked it altering flight path along a commercial corridor, along with the shut down of onboard tracking systems... Sure looks more and more like a planned event. Owing to the difficulty in finding suitable landing sites for something that big, one can conclude that the plane was ditched in the ocean somewhere in the Indian Ocean.

3. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Here's the weird thing: We now know that it flew 7+ hrs without duress - after it was "lost" on radar.

By the time the international community knew it was missing, they all could have all been having tea and crumpets in Europe.

4. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    Now The New York Times is saying that the autopilot was programmed to turn away from the Beijing corridor. To me this suggests that whichever pilot set the computer to do this was anticipating a tussle from the other pilot. The passengers would've never known anything was up, until they saw the pilots fighting (assuming here). Then I assume that the massive altitude changes were to incapacitate the pissed off passengers. So scary, and I pray that those people are alive.

5. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

Correction. We can logically conclude that it flew 7+ hrs mostly through uncontrolled air space.
    As to the people who voted that the plane was hijacked, landed and is currently hidden...

http://qz.com/187891/how-much-room-would-the-missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-need-to-land/

6. Kaiserman

7. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Media:
    They are also saying that he has had that sim for years and brings in the neighbor kids to show them how to fly. (Which sounds pretty cool to me, assuming his intentions we actually pure at heart.)

It really confused me since the beginning why they would search for a crash site for that long in the original search area. Everyone knows that 777 is meant to fly longer segments. I really don't think it would be that hard to realize that it wasn't there and had flown away. This comes back to the Malaysian FAA (w.e. It's called) for not releasing more information earlier. The fear of the reaction of a stolen pray crippled their response to the investigation.

8. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I've thought for years that SAC had enough "eyes in the air" to observe and track nearly every bird in the sky, pretty much all over the world. Either I've given them too much credit, or they don't want others to know badly enough that mums the word. Diego Garcia isn't terribly far to the West. Rumor has it we fly there. With the munitions and black birds kept there you can bet your a** there is also a sophisticated long and short range radar system.
    I can't imagine they could fly a 777 over those countries without being observed. And, a 777 flying South over the Indian Ocean had to look strange to our military on DG.

9. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    I'm surprised there's anywhere on this planet left that something as large as an 777 could hide.

10. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

I believe such a hijack is possible. Given a decent bankroll and years to prepare an organization could pull this off. I certainly don't know if that's what happened. I pray for the passengers no matter what happened.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    A computer dweeb hacker directed the plane to Diego Garcia, and the U.S. Navy can't figure out what to do about it, so they're covering it up, figuratively and literally. Yep, zat's fer shure.

12. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. So many unknowns. Your heart has to go out to the victims and their families. There is still a small thread of hope they are alive. Terrorism is such a terrible thing.

13. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Sounds like green beer tawkin Salmo.
    I don't know the terrorist mind set any more than anyone here. But it just seems like if it was terrorists, they wouldn't want the plane to disappear. I'd think they would want something to gloat over. I hold out hope the plane is under camo somewhere and the passengers may be put up for display and then ransom. Not likely maybe, but possible.

14. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I just read that the plane was taken up to 45,000 feet right after it turned off course. If the passenger cabin were depressurized then, and if the emergency oxygen masks supply was cut off, at that altitude the passengers would have passed out within about 15 seconds. That could have happened before any of the passengers suspected anything was amiss. Hence the utter lack of cell phone calls from the plane.

15. teedub

teedub Active Member

Turning off the telemetry is not a simple or trivial task. The other pilot would notice. I remember it being something like sixteen-screens and inputs just to get to the defaults. If they throttled back they could stay on for a lot of hours but when they got to India or some of the other countries, even at low altitudes they would have been picked up on military radar (that what the defense goys look for - a ship without a transponder). Seems to me like ditching or heading to a cooperative, sovereign landmass with at least a couple hundred miles of coast are the only options.

Then a big runway and big hanger would be need to hide the bird from sat coverage. We need to watch Craigslist for a used Boeing trip-seven for sale.

16. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I don't know what happened, and I won't arm-chair guess. But I do like this approach to using data and statistics to find the aircraft: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-statisticians-could-help-find-flight-370/

One thing that amazes me is the lack of simple GPS tracking of this (and probably many other) aircraft. I mean, I can buy a SPOT Messenger for $99 or any number of DeLorme or Garmin devices for a little more and my family always knows where I am in remote wilderness. It's surprising that a 777 had no such always-on mechanism that is tamper-proof by anyone on board.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  17. Kaiserman

Well Lugan, that's why it has the world all in a "tizzy". There are 4 major tracking devices on all commercial aircraft.

For all 4 to quit tracking, they have to be manually turn off systematically. A "catastrophic" failure, would not render all 4 inoperable.

Such in an accident, the failure to turn them off systematically, sends out a "distress signal" or warning (for a lack of better words).

Lugan likes this.
  18. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Malaysia Airlines Expands Investigation To Include General Scope Of Space, Time
    ‘Why Are We Even Here?’ Officials Probe
    NEWSNewsISSUE 50•10 • Mar 13, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Assuming the actuality of wavefunction collapse, Malaysia Airlines officials say flight MH370 could currently be located in any possible alternate future.
    KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA—Following a host of conflicting reports in the wake of the mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 last Saturday, representatives from the Kuala Lumpur–based carrier acknowledged they had widened their investigation into the vanished Boeing 777 aircraft today to encompass not only the possibilities of mechanical failure, pilot error, terrorist activity, or a botched hijacking, but also the overarching scope of space, time, and humankind’s place in the universe.
    The airline, now in its fifth day of searching for the passenger jet carrying 239 passengers and crew, has come under fire for its perceived mishandling of the investigation, whose confusing and contradictory reports have failed to provide definitive answers on everything from how long the missing plane remained aloft after losing contact with air traffic controllers, to whether the flight made a radical alteration in its heading, to the very dimensions of space-time and the nature of reality, and what exactly it is that brought us into existence and imbued us with this thing we call life.
    Additionally, the airline confirmed it had expanded its active search area to include a several-hundred-square-mile zone in the Indian Ocean as well as each of the seven or 22 additional spatial dimensions posited by string theory.
    “We continue to do everything in our power and explore every possible lead—both Cartesian and phenomenological—to locate the aircraft as quickly as possible,” said Malaysia’s civil aviation chief Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, who went on to say that authorities were still actively seeking tips from anyone claiming knowledge related either to the flight, or to the mechanisms by which consciousness arises, or to the question of why anything physical and finite exists instead of nothing at all. “At this stage, we can’t rule anything out: not crew interference with the transponders, not a catastrophic electrical failure, not the emergence of a complex topological feature of space-time such as an Einstein-Rosen bridge that could have deposited the flight at any location in the universe or a different time period altogether, nothing.”
    “Could a parallel universe have immediately swelled up from random cosmological fluctuation according to the multiverse theory and swallowed the flight into its folds, or could ice have built up on an airspeed sensor? Those are both options we are currently considering,” Rahman added. “Everything’s on the table. That is, insofar as anything exists at all, which we’re also looking into.”
    Rahman assured the press and families of passengers that officials would not rest until they locate the plane, provided that sensory experience can be verified beyond the existence of one’s own mind. Malaysian authorities also cautioned that they were dealing with an unprecedented aviation mystery and that it could take months to ascertain the airliner’s exact fate as well as, for that matter, the fate of mankind itself, assuming a linear theory of space-time in which the future is unknowable and objects travel in a forward trajectory which, authorities hasten to add, is not necessarily the case.
    In addition, airline sources attempted to assuage an uneasy public by noting they had brought in top crash investigators from the Malaysian, Vietnamese, and Chinese governments, as well as U.S. Navy personnel, Boeing technicians, leading quantum physicists, theoretical cosmologists, metaphysicians, epistemologists, and determinist philosophers to help scour all conceivable and as yet inconceivable locations in which the plane might be located.
    “The bottom line is that we have a sophisticated aircraft fresh off a safety inspection with no prior incident of malfunction, flying in good weather at a cruising altitude,” Rahman continued. “Why didn’t the pilot send a distress signal? Why aren’t we finding a debris path? What are we to make of the contradictory radar information? Where did the universe begin and can it be said to have a limit or an edge? What is mankind’s role in it? Is there a God? If so, what is God’s nature?”
    “It’s too early to answer these questions right now, but I can assure you that Malaysia Airlines will get to the bottom of it,” Rahman added. “Our top people are on it right now.”http://www.theonion.com/articles/malaysian-airlines-expands-investigation-to-includ,35524/

Kent Lufkin, Tim Cottage and Lugan like this.
  19. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Here is yet another seemingly plausible explanation: http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

An electrical fire caused the crew to shut down electrical systems (including all the tracking systems) and try to make it to another airport (explains the left turn). They lost the battle to smoke inhalation, died, and the plane just kept flying into the Indian Ocean until it ran out of fuel. Who knows...

20. Kaiserman

These kind of stories/events really get my interest, so I started learning about the 777. Holy Guacamole are those things sophisticated!!! This kind of thing just doesn't happen to jetliners these days, especially after 9/11. I realize that a plane hasn't disappeared like this before, although a France airliner went missing for a couple years, but the electronic systems on these things are mind blowing! You really have to know the system to make a jet disappear like that.

However, your thoughts were discussed as well, but any trained pilot would first contact the tower, to send a "May Day" - and even then, the engine "pings", along with (some gadget I don't recall its name) would still send out signals.

Everything points to the "proud" Maylasian government not sharing info. There's little to no doubt that someone was in control of the plane. I just think it's sad that the "powers that be" are being so arrogant, and not giving out the info that is needed.

Charlie Rose and BBC World news did interviews with a few men that have held the positions of command in situations like this. Their take is, they believe that the Malaysian officials never dreamed this would get out of hand, and probably thought they could deal with it themselves. Have you seen the interviews with the Malaysian guys... :rolleyes: They look lost and embarrased/stunned.

Have you noticed that more and more information (not speculation) but actual facts have "trickled out" about the jetliner? I think the world (and other governments) are forcing their hand to cough up that info.

Geez, I'm almost with Sg.... it could be parked out back with the hi-jackers underarrest. The Malaysians just didn't want anyone to know how weak their security is, so they came out with a "we lost it" story - and now it's out of control. :D