Mallard Feathers....Loads of em!

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by plecoptera419, Dec 15, 2013.

1. plecoptera419 Member

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    So I have been harvesting my share of mallards this year, and saving feathers for tying. I have quite a bit of flank feathers saved (more than enough), and am saving all the CDC I can. What other feathers should I be saving besides a few wing quill feathers? Also I really have know idea what I can do with the hen feathers besides the CDC and wing quills.

I also managed to shoot a Drake spoon bill this year. I probably should have attempted to skin it and save everything, but I just saved what I knew I could use with specific patterns in mind. Unfortunately, no widgeon or pintails in the bag yet this year, and gadwall and wood ducks are a rarity in my neck of the woods.

Suggestions as to what else I can save and use, and patterns I can tie with them would be most appreciated.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,035 / 1
    bronze flank feathers. Mated pairs good for trading with the salmon fly tyers.
  3. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    The barred white and grey flank feathers are used on KNUTSEN'S SPIDER, a terrific searun cutthroat fly.

Bill,

The bronze feathers are actually shoulder feathers, not flank feathers. These are the feathers found right were the wing attaches to the body and they are brownish with black barring in color.
  4. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +517 / 0

The bronze feathers are actually shoulder feathers, not flank feathers. These are the feathers found right were the wing attaches to the body and they are brownish with black barring in color.

Correct, you'll probably only find four or five pairs if you're lucky and the bigger the better. If you have no use for them, I'd be interested in purchasing or trading for them....
    I'm also interested in some teal, wood duck, and widgeon, in case you have any extra....

Thanks,
    Mark
  5. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    Mallard curlies are good for some patterns too, like the Tipperlin (Marbury Bass fly). They are pretty unique.
    Here's an example of how they look on the fly - the black feather on the tail.

[IMG]
  6. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +692 / 0
    I use my share of duck feathers in a variety of patterns (I love to innovate & substitute). I almost got some more Mallard feathers yesterday while pheasant hunting but it kept flying. Go figure . . .
  7. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +221 / 0
    The neighbor and I built some small lattice wood containers and atuffed them full of non-bloodied duck and goose feathers, hung them in our yards in the spring. The birds went to town getting the stuff for nest material, they cleaned them out and picked up all of the "spillage" in two weeks.
  8. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +122 / 0
    I`d save a few breast feathers for tying the Dexheimer sedge , a very good lake pattern . (if I find the time , I`ll whip one up , and show you what it looks like ).
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  9. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +294 / 0
    wings for wings on dries
  10. plecoptera419 Member

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be sure to post up some pictures when I get to using some of those feathers.