Managing Running Line

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sean Beauchamp, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    didnt touch the spey this weekend, i decided to let WFF have the skykomish. jeez guys! instead i fished tiger musky and i dont regret it.

2. speyday

speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

Okay, here's a question:

my floating ridge line (which im thinking of ditching in favor of some 30# mono) has started corkscrewing around the handle as line shoots out. like a big loop will fly up from the water--and on its way out to the stripping guide, the belly part under the whole loop; both sides of the " U " will come up and wrap around the foregrip 3 or 4 times, and this momentary hold will of course, kill the line shot. Has anyone else experienced this?

Im not really proficient at managing line, but ive been competent enough at it to use some loops-- mostly avoiding the huge tangles that happen when a big blob makes its way up. This one has me puzzled. Maybe the line is twisted a bit and this is how it shows up? I dunno.

Thx.

3. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    i had that problem, but that one i fixed. its how you are holding your running line when finishing the cast. cant really explain it via typing. next time you are about to let go and shoot line, look down and watch the dynamics of your hands/line/butt section. kinda like fishin a single hander and stepping on your line when you are trying to cast and wondering why it got under your feet.

or, maybe you are twisting up the running line doing something funky and this is how it shows up

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Someone showed me how to pin my line to the cork with my top hand then run my line over the outer diameter of the frame of my reel and into my fingers on the butt of the rod. So far I've not had a shooting line tangle over the reel since starting that method. Not sure if that makes sense in print but once shown to me it made perfect sense and was easy to try.

5. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    Fewer than 6-7 pulls, I just grasp the line by 2 fingers of my upper hand, then run the line between my pinkie and ring finger on my lower hand and go around the reel frame a la mumbles.

More than 6-7 pulls, I loop around my pinkie every 4-7 pulls, depending on water flow and depth (the Maytag factor, also known as the personal backeddy).

Finally settled on Stroft Fluorescent 42lb mono for running line, happy for the moment.

6. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Usually when that happens to me it's a sign that I'm over powering the cast...which I tend to do as I work my way down a run.

7. younggun

younggun New Member

Media:
    Plain and simple, good running line makes for easy management. I have 2 running lines, Guidline for the summer and fall. and Miracle braid for the winter. The guideline floats, casts a mile, and makes for an enjoyable day on the water. The miracle braid is easy to grasp, doesn't coil in the coldest of cold, and shoots far for its properties. Most of the winters where i fish are caught within 60ft of the bank, and rivers that they swim in rarely get over 100ft wide. I hold loops that go from big to medium to small. I find if your fishing a skagit and lines is slipping, you're applying power at the wrong time, and you're usually waving your wand to fast. SFD!!! SLOW the F**K DOWN!!!. Let the skagit head, sinktip and fly dig, then just smooth forward stroke with a consistant increase in application of power as your move forward.

The only other line i would use would be the new 50lb slickshooter, it casts far, and is fairly easy to grip, but it needs to be stretched every once in a while and i'm a lazy person.

8. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    For longer casts I like to incorporate a third loop in the mouth. This is also the largest loop because it's higher off the water and drags less. The timing of release is delayed as well which reduces tangle and increased distance because this keeps more of the line off the water. I use amnesia for a whole buch of cheap reasons but also because it's durable and shoots very well.

For most fishing situations I just hold one and sometimes two loops with the middle finger bottom hand and hardly ever tangle.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I cannot recall who, but someone here told me that they put their running line in loops on the water surface upriver on their leg. Half the loop front, the other half back. I'm told when done properly it will be held lightly in place by the current and will still shoot mighty nice if you are having trouble managing the line in your hands.

10. Ben Guss

Ben Guss Member

Another option others havent mentioned is a stripping basket!

11. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

If you are holding loops in your mouth you want to think about giardia. That little bug can make your life very miserable until antibiotics arrive.

12. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Kind of an interesting observation....I tried changing my loops on my fingers going with the smallest first instead of largest...I found no significant difference while using a mono running line...If you overpower the cast or your in a heavier current the tangles still come when you got loops on three fingers and on hanging....

Just thought I'd throw that out there as I hoped switching positions would improve that pain in the ass..but for not...

13. Tyler B

Tyler B Member

I 've tried all different ways of holding loops like mentioned in all of the replys, and I usually at some point during the day have a couple nice birds nests using the loop system. Try this, if in slack water and the line stays near you and the current does not take the running line away you almost always can shoot more line due to less water tension (master of the obvious, I know) . So to acheive the same effect in moving water by not having to hold loops, try facing directly down stream while stripping to your head keeping your rod slightly elevated and make sure you are at least knee deep or slightly above your knees and you will notice a hydraulic pocket formed right at your crotch. Don't turn sideways or this wont work, as you are stripping in the running line make sure to pile all or your running line directly into the hydraulic pocket, if done correctly you can learn to keep mass ammounts of slack line in that pocket and when making your cast you will have little if no tension just like it sitting in slack water and acheving much more distance. After a while of doing this you will never hold loops again, and I can't remember the last time if any it created a tangle. Give it a try it works really well.

14. attack

attack Member

hmmm interesting ive found the opposite because current keeps the running line from sinking so it has less tension...slack water any non floating running line will sink down and be hard to pull out...i always dump my running line into the current instead of into the pocket....

15. Tyler B

Tyler B Member

Funny thing, moving water creates a whole lot more tension than your line sitting in slack non moving water, thats why I quit letting it go into the current and drasticly decreasing the ability to shoot line, floating running line or mono. Seems to work great for me and a whole bunch of caster I know, proof is in the pudding I guess.

16. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Moving or not Amnesia sinks. The real key to shooting line is keeping it of the water. Another thing, keep your line clean, running line and head, can buy you some extra distance.