manners

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KerryS, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Bright Rivers

Bright Rivers Member

Media:
    A slightly different take

I'm not even a little angry. That's the problem with communicating this way -- when you can't hear someone's tone of voice, it's easy to take something the wrong way. I'd put one of those smiley faces or thumbs up guys after any sentence that may be taken wrong, but for some reason it always appears at the very end, even if I want it like somewhere in the middle. Like this . . .

db

"If I don't catch them today, I'll catch them another day." Art Flick :BIGSMILE :THUMBSUP

2. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:

"but that doesn't mean an angler working downstream for trout has poor etiquette. It just means he's a poor fisherman."

I won't take this quote personally. I know that everyone has their own method of fishing rivers and streams and if I am fishing downstream and catching fish with this method, I wouldn't consider myself a poor fisherman. The fact of the matter is, when the river is moving really fast during runoff season, it is really the only way for me to make long drifts. It is also easier to move downstream than upstream. This is a much more common method than you may think. All of the best fishermen on the west coast use this technique because it is much easier than fighting the speed and strength of the current fishing upstream. IMHO, it is also much better to deliver a fly from above a fish than cast over it and risk spooking it.

I am sorry to say, your quote is incorrect. No offense.

3. Bright Rivers

Bright Rivers Member

Media:

You're right, of course. If you're catching plenty of good fish, then there's nothing wrong with your technique. My point, in case I mistated it, was simply that whether you work upstream or downstream is not a question of etiquette, but rather one of technique, and that neither angler has a "right of way" over the other.

db

"If I don't catch them today, I'll catch them another day." Art Flick

4. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Ethics, ettiquette, manners these are all different things actually.

Ethics = not fishing for salmon on their redds even if legal to do so.
    Ettiquette= Fishing down and behind other (earlier) anglers on steelhead flywater.
    Manners= politely asking a staionary angler if you can fish below.

Here's a hypothetical ettiquette question: Suppose I arrive on the N Fork at a popular access point where there is a long run both upstream and down. I see a couple anglers 100 yards upstream, presumably working down. Should I:
    A)Walk up the gravel bar and get in line behind?
    B)Start right there and move down?
    C)Walk a bit further down to increase the distance?
    D)Immediately start chumming the water and plunking immediately below the other two?
    E)What difference does it make I'll never catch a steelhead anyway?

Bh

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

What do I know---I'm just an old man

This string could go on and on with all the questions being questioned. Like when you come to a river to fish do you go up stream or down stream. I usually go both ways. It depends on the conditions and how the waters look But I think most people go down stream.

Jim