Marabou Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Marty, Jan 16, 2007.

1. New to the site and missed out on the Intruder Swap so I was thinking it would be fun to do a Marabou Swap. Sounds like six tiers would be a good start but if we can get 10 that would be great. I am heading to the NW in April so let’s make the due date March 1st. The only rule is the fly has to have some marabou and tied for winter steelhead. I know some of you might hesitate because I am new. But if you can’t trust a steelheader who can you trust.

Marty – Black and Blue

2. Count me in. What part of the northwest are you headin to? :beer2:

3. The Skagit/Sauk I have the need for speed.

1. Marty – Black and Blue
    2. seanengman - TBA

4. marty count me in. i saw that pic on the utah site.

5. I am in with something purple and black.

My apologies, it is fuschia and black.

6. A few more tiers and we have it, thanks

2. Seanengman – TBA
    3. mike doughty – TBA
    4. Curtis – Purple and Black

7. Count me in!!!

8. Yeah count me in also. Right before I came in and checked out the site tonight, I was telling my buddy that I need to tie up a bunch of marabous. This is perfect, I'm not sure what color yet though.

Christian

9. Christian are you a firefighter

2. Seanengman – TBA
    3. mike doughty – TBA
    5. speykid - TBA
    6. stlfirehouse - TBA

Four more and we are good to go.

10. I'm in. Not sure what I'll be tying.

11. Would a steelhead fly that has worked in British Columbia, during both September and November, qualify as a "Winter Steelhead" fly? If not, I'll bow out. I have this pattern I've tied but never had the opportunity to fish. It looks as elegant as it is easy to tie. Marabou, yes!

--Dave

12. I'll bite on this one.

13. I am tying a blue and orange marabou streamer. Go Denver.

14. Poor wording on my part, I was just looking for a big fly tied with marabou. The fly above was tied for BC in September. The fly ended up about 4 inches long and was the biggest fly I have ever used for summer fish. That fly ended up hooking 5 more fish during a week of very difficult fishing. The river was as low as anyone had seen it and you would have thought smaller flies would have worked better. I have been using marabous for winter fish for many years, most in bright colors (orange, yellow, and red). I tied the same fly in all black and took it to Argentina. The fly performed well on sea-run browns. I just started using the trailing hook this year to make the fly lighter and easier to cast, it works but does take longer to tie. I am very traditional when it comes to tying and my brother-in-law thinks I have gone of the deep end by using a trailer, just trying to think outside the box. Welcome to the swap ceviche and hedburner.

2. Seanengman – TBA
    3. mike doughty – TBA
    5. speykid - TBA
    6. stlfirehouse - TBA
    7. ceviche - TBA
    8. hedburner - TBA

Two more and we go

15. Marty, I think ya forgot me there.

16. My bad Mulligan not sure what happened. I am changing to Yellow and Orange.

1. Marty – Yellow and Orange
    2. Seanengman – Blue and Orange
    3. mike doughty – TBA
    5. speykid - TBA
    6. stlfirehouse - TBA
    7. Mulligan - TBA
    8. ceviche - TBA
    9. hedburner - TBA

One more to go

17. I'll play if you don't mind a Northerner getting in on it. I'll choose my pattern when i know if i'am in.
    Salmon Chaser

18. 1. Marty – Yellow and Orange
    2. Seanengman – Blue and Orange
    3. mike doughty – TBA
    4. Curtis –Fuschia and Black
    5. speykid - TBA
    6. stlfirehouse - TBA
    7. Mulligan - TBA
    8. ceviche - TBA
    9. hedburner - TBA
    10. Salmon Chaser - TBA

There you have it, the swap is full. Now let’s get tying. Flies are to be done and sent no latter than the 1st of March. When you decide what you will be tying or change you mind like I did send a post. I will send out a reminder every once in a while to keep every motivated. Can’t wait to see all of your creations.

Marty

19. ahh... looks like I was just a tad late on this one. See how work gets in the way of a bad time?! :)

Maybe next time Marty.

20. My flies are done. black, pink, green. with some extras. Where do i send um too?