Marabou sources - redux

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by DLoop, Jan 4, 2005.

1. DLoop

DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

Media:
  2. speyman

speyman Member

Home Page:
    About a year ago I found a source for what I think is the best ever. These days the tendency is to focus on the tiny stem. This has lead folks to feathers which have sizes OK for small stuff but not for big flies. I am talking about 2/0 and up size big boys. The stuff I sell has 4-6" fiber length on much of it and while the stem is not as small as some you can still get 3-4 wraps. The other advantage of this stuff is the fibers have more stiffness than the tiny stuff so the stand prouder in the water and give a better shape to the fly.

Ron sells the same stuff at All About the Fly in Monroe.

If you would like a free sample just email me offline.

Big full flies.

3. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dloop,

Last week I visited Swedes for the first time and I picked up four bags of Marabou for $11 each. When you pull the marabou out of the bags they just explode they are so huge. The bags are stuff with easily 5 times what you would get anywhere else for $5.

If you have found a better deal than that please PM me.

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I just buy the bags of marabou from Hareline. I buy the one ounce bags. They are pretty full. Plus, the overall quality is great. You get a wide range of feathers, and the dye is consistent. I know I have a certain color that I have to buy from Cabela's, since noone else seems to carry it. (Going to try custom dying over white marabou, since I have all the stuff I need). Well, I can buy a couple ounces from them (which is ALOT of marabou). by time I'm sorting out the half dyed and pour quality stems/feathers, I have maybe a shop pack left. Out of two ounces, that's not alot. Rest I wouldn't even use as tails on my woolybuggers. So far though, I'm pleased with Hareline's stuff.

5. Hywel

Hywel New Member

For those of us sweaty masses unable to buy directly from HareLine - Pacific Flyfishers in Mill Creek carries HareLine's strung blood quill Marabou. HareLine's product is outstanding, especially their Xtra Select Strung Marabou.

The Avid Angler and Ted's Sport Center offer strung Marabou distributed by Fish Hunter Enterprises - although I think the quality of Fish Hunter's Marabou has diminished significantly as of late. Just my opinion.

Jack Cook of Steelhead Anglers sells exactly the same great Marabou you'll find at Swede's (in Woodinville) - only at a much better price.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL Scotty. Yeah, I meant it for people to keep their eyes open. Most decent fully stocked flyshops carry Hareline. So figured most may have seen it at one time, but may have bought a cheaper product. Guess I should've said "Check your shop for them". Do believe though most shops only carry the "shop packs". So if you use alot of marabou, you'll have to special order the "ounce" packs.

7. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Media:
    Home Page:
    In regards to my previous post.

The 1 OZ bags of Marabou from Swede's are actually only $7.50. I was thinking of something else. Saddle Hackle maybe.

8. metalhead

metalhead New Member

john shewey has the best quality and colors i have ever seen.

9. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Jack Cook?

Where's Steelhead Anglers? And is this the same Jack Cook who guides, or used to guide, for Mazama Fly Shop? I once hired him out for some lessons while Margaret and I were staying at Freestone Inn. Terrific guy. :thumb: He has these wicked-cool, very small fly rods that are killer for casting practice in conference rooms.

10. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Hey Dave,

While Jack Cook is a local guide (and a good one!) I can't tell you if he's guided for the Mazama Fly Shop.

On this board he's known as 'speyman', and I'm sure he'd enjoy hearing from you.

Hywel