March Backpacking/Fishing Trip

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jason Chadick, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

Hey Gang,

So I will be heading to the OP in March to do a backpack/fishing trip. I will have about five days total (about 3 days of backpacking/fishing). If you were me, what system would you go for. I was hoping to put in less than 30 miles of hiking to maximize fishing time. I just aquired a spey, so I would prefer to swing for steel. No other factors, I will most likely be going solo, and was leaning towards the Queets drainage.

Lemme know what you guys think!

Cheers,

Jason

2. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    pm sent.

3. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    Lots of big kitties on the queets system so watch your back. Pick any system on the peninsula you wish march is a good month and if its open and is fishable there will be a chance at a fish. But the hoh and quillayute system will have the most people and likely for good reason. Get out the map and enjoy the scenery. There isn't a more beautiful place to get lost IMHO. Good luck.

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    If you hike up the Queets trail, which is across the river from the road access, and it starts raining hard, you might think about hustling back down and across before it gets to high to cross.

Sg

5. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Not to mention it's a deep wade - up to the pits in the summer. In the winter I think you'd need a boat. Maybe I'm a wuss though.

6. Jason Chadick

Thanks for the tips guys,

I have actually never hiked that trail before, I was aware of the crossing but did not realize it was that extreme. It sounds like that crossing can be a little intense, I'd really like to to do it, but I should probably put together an alternate hike of sorts in case it looks like a swim.

I really appreciate the heads up.

Cheers,

Jason

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    If it's pit deep at summer flow, Jesse crossed at the wrong place. Pick the right tailout and it's thigh deep. However, Mello was telling me that last year or year before he was up there and noticed the river beginning to rise. By the time he got back downstream to the crossing he pretty much had to swim back. Not how you want to do it. Just stressing the importance of paying attention.

I can't think of any other OP rivers where backpacking fits with steelheading. Day hiking covers all the open water.

Sg

8. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hiked that trail in August as a teenager. That crossing was no joke then. I doubt I would mess with it in March, but have a good plan b and at least give it a look. I remember fondly the evening way up the trail when my best friend and I fished a hole all afternoon and evening with bait with a few trout to show for it. Just before dark my dad strolls down with his ultra light spinning rod and a number one or two mepps spinner , makes one cast and lands a five or six pound steelhead. Dads sure do seem wise at times. Great trip that ill remember forever. Hope you get the chance to make it.

9. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Gone Fishing

Media:
    I agree, summertime you can usually pick a spot that can be as low as knee-deep. March, unless it is quite cold out, might be a real challenge, and has been stated, if it rains, get out or be ready to camp for a few days as you may lose your life crossing.
    The river bottom is also glacial silt which is slick.
    Cougar and bear, elk. Also very thick brush and with the sounds of water in many spots, probably not hear an attack......

10. Brennen Busse

Brennen Busse Member

I hiked the Hoh River on up to Glacier Meadows last August and some on the streams we had to cross (which had very little water that time of year) the banks were way over my head and I remember thinking "these would be impossible to cross during the winter months." So, my advice be careful.

11. Jason Chadick

Thanks a lot for info guys! I spent some serious time with a few maps last night and came up with three different hairbrained crossing methods. One of them involving climbing rope and a $30 inflattable from Freddie Meyer's and the other involving climbing rope, the inflattable, two pulleys, and a machete (also from Freddie Meyer's). Both crossing scenarios will make a great youtube video.

The third crossing method will be to take a look at the crossing, decide it's sketchy. Drink a beer, stretch the hamstrings, and head back up 101 to the Hoh.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out, and will definitely post the videos if methods one or two come into play.

Cheers,

Jason

12. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sweet. Have fun and be safe. Ill look forward to the report.

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    If you want a plastic yellow raft to stash in the brush, I have one you can use. Shouldn't need pulleys or machete, but a couple paddles might help.

Sg

14. Jason Chadick

Sg,

Your generosity is greatly appreciated. I might actually take you up on that if it's cool with you, I'll send you a pm as the departure date approaches.

Cheers,

Jason

15. WT

WT Active Member

Bogey?

16. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

even more cougars