March Brown - extended body mayfly

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by troutman101, Feb 14, 2006.

1. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:
    I made a post a few months ago and have had a few e-mails and PM's about the pattern and I want to first apologize for not sending you the pattern at your request. I want to make it up to you by getting the pattern up online for everyone. This is the time to be stock piling this pattern.

It has been the most effective March Brown pattern I have ever used. Enjoy!

So here is the pattern:

hook -Tiemco 100 size 14 and 12's smaller works better further west, bigger in Western Montana and Idaho.

body- short and fine elk hair with a grey/tan color

tail- two fillaments in a gold color (fibbets)

rib- danville tan 6/0

upper body (thorax)- coarse and short nymph dubbing in a tan/brown color.

wing- mallard dyed woodduck....not woodduck. The colors are different and for some reason the mallard works better.

Step 1....

Go to the fridge, open it and reach for the short brown bottle labeled "Pale Ale"

Step 2.....

tie in the wings with the tips forward on top of the hook and about the same as the total length of the body minus the tail. Don't let it roll so maybe create a few base wraps or a losse loop followed by a tight one or whatever works.

Step 3....

cut the base of the wings and wrap thread tightly over the stubbs. Be sure to cut it close to where you want the abdomen to begin. A little overlap between the abdomen and thorax is good because it creates some flotation. Also make sure the fibers are even and all heading in the same direction. It doesn't matter if you use the top or the side feathers as long as te result is a fan type shape and the tips flaring back.

Step 4...

raise the wings straight up and do some secure wraps to keep them up. I also figure 8 between them and then force the flank fibers to stand up. You almost want them to stand backwards a bit. Be sure to keep them from falling forward or it will look unnatural.

Step 5...

A hint; make sure to use the part of the elk hair that tapers but is still boyant. Also, it shouldn't be too fine or too thick. Like porage.

tie in the tails with a few wraps, cut the stubbs and then measure and tie the elk in. You will want the elk to wrap around the hook shank but be sure to keep them straight when securing the butts. A few tight wraps to secure it, clip the butts and then cover with butts with more tight wraps. After it is secure, pull the elk and tails back and begin spiral wrapping back towards the bend of the hook. When you get to the bend, spiral back and shorten the width of rib as you go backwards.

Step 6...

At the end (1/4 the shank or so of extension) do a few really tight wraps to secure it all and then start working forwards. Be sure to cross at the top so the belly of the fly looks segmented.

Step 7...

Once at the beginning again, put some dubbing on and dub the thorax and then finish the fly.

The last step should be cutting the tip of the elk flush. Of course, you are likely to cut the tail fibers and thread so BE CAREFUL!

I'm not sure if I missed anything. I am subscribing to this thread so your questions can be answered. Feel free to ask away!

Here is the end results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Media:
    That's a great looking March Brown. Thanks for the step by step, it looks like it'll float like a cork to!

3. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:
    Whay thank you Calvin! These guys deserve a secret pattern. So much information has been put onto this forum and I am pretty greatful to be involved with it. It is the least I could do.

4. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    Very Nice, I hope I can return the favor sometime, I have a few favorite goto nymph patterns that I have found to be super productive, and I am interested in hosting a swap, I have already tied them, just gotta give ita go and be the flymeister =)
    Earl Smith