March Montana Report

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Dan Soltau, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    Arrived in Butte at 11:00 PM Thursday night, good weather on the drive over and it looked like it could be very good fishing. Got the year liscenses and stopped at numerous places at on the madison from varney to ennis and also in between the lakes. Warmer, as usual, downriver near ennis but very windy, went to west to get some more reports and some specialty chenille at arricks that i was low on, so we got to see some cold, snowy weather right away. Ate lunch at Happy Hour, which was having their st. patricks day party which was very interesting to say the least, as you might imagine. Stopped in between the lakes during a strong blizzard and landed one nice brown on a stonefly nymph but nothing else except an @$$load of snow. Headed back up the valley and fished upstream of varney which was still sunny and windy. Didnt hook shit, went to ruby, didnt hook shit but saw a crap load of suckers and whities. Got hotel in ennis and ate at this new BBQ place called the reel decoy. Dont get the chips and salsa if you want "chips and salsa," its more like plain quesadilla and salsa, a little weird. Cool place, will get better and will be a nice addition to the town when they get their ribs and chickens in a row. Woke up the next morning to 28 degrees and blizzard. checked the usual spots and decided to check out in beartrap and then head up to bozeman to get a wide based report. In beatrap it was again blizzard conditions, parked geared up and walked up stream. As I was was walking on the road I looked down to see an 18"ish bow sitting behing a rock in about 6" of water. I had a type 8 shooting head/tip on with a fat crawdad tied onto the 6' leader. I thought about going to grab the 5 in the truck and quickly decided to give the streamer a try. I got the distance drift right annd flipped it right in front of him and he &^$%n throttled it, h whipped around a blew up on it sending water in the air. It was so fast I couldnt believe it at first, I se the hook and landed him fairly quickly, it was a big male decked out in spwaning colors, but hadnt spawn yet as he was in perfect condition. (He wasnt on a bed) On the way we saw the mower madison and decided to check it out, again blizzard conditions but a ton of fish rising to fish landed, one 17" and 1 10".Decided to check out the yellowstone, drove over and stopped 15 miles south of livingston. Fished hard in blizzard conditions with streamers and nymphs in some sweet water and didnt touch anything, although we were in extreme blizzard conditions. Drove back to missoula in some crazy winter conditions from gardiners, veery interesting and a little sc ary. Got up and got some reports and headed up the root, fished some nice channels with one grande rainbow and another large fish hooked and some small one caught. Drove back and that was that.

Attached Files:

2. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm sorry.

3. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Media:
    On Monday and Tuesday, I was on the Bighorn. Decent fishing...

I was on the lower Madison on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Camped across from Red Mountain CG. Extremely windy, fishing was good, flows were a touch high, but clarity wasn't too bad. Stopped at Three Forks ponds on the way out, saw a couple carp cruising, but the water was still too cold.

Yellowstone this time of the year is mainly a fruitless proposition in my book. I am on a love/hate with the 'Stone. Good fishing from the Caddis hatch to early-mid July. I don't even bother at other times of the year.

4. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    I'm with ya on the Stone. A buddy of mine thinks it's #1 but I spent a week there in October back in 01 thinking I was going to clean up streamer fishing for Browns. The fishing was OK for RB's Cutt's and a few Browns but the big one was a 20 and it was a Rainbow. I'm going over this fall but I'm going to do another section other than Livingstone.

5. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    Hey Kevin,
    Do you base out of Dillon? I have fsshed a little bit the beav but I want to catch it when the flows are right and not extremely low or extremely high. I have also been around poindexter a lot with marginal success and nothing on dries. I plan on checking it out more this summer.

6. Mark Ritari

Mark Ritari Trouthunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    does anyone know of a resteraunt called "the campground" or something. A guide was talking about it while on a foat on the henrys fork. its right on the bank of the madison near the quake lake area. just curious about it. supposed to have awesome food really cheap.

7. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    yes I do. The best breakfast in montana, damn good. It is called the campfire lodge and is right on the river. You can get a huge breakfast for about 6 bucks i believe. One of my favorite places to eat