NFR Mariners Are World Champs

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jessejames, Mar 28, 2012.

1. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Big news! The Seattle Mariners are the only undefeated team in Major League Baseball. The Commissioner has agreed to cancel the rest of the MLB season and the Martiners will be crowned the World Champions in a special ceremony at Safeco Field on Saturday.
    This is a fitting result as the opening game of "americas pastime" being played in Japan and Ichiro going 4 or 5 in his home country. Truly a World Series the Mariners starting pitcher is from South America the star was from Japan the winning hit was from a guy from Georgia (the one in the USA) and the winning pitcher a Dane.
    All is well in the world now that the baseball season has started.
    America the beautiful, apple pie, baseball and fly fishing....
    jesse
    PS to be a fly angler and a Mariners fan requires the same character trait. Unbridled optimism!!!!

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Too bad that the games they are playing come on in the middle of the night. Not to many fans up at that time. I know I wasn't

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I was. Not a bad start. Better if Felix would have gotten the win. I'm too tired to watch tonight's game though. Jesse, great use of the English language to surround the globe in baseball brilliance.

4. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    I'm happy baseball is back, and they won their first game! I'm totally with you that it takes the same character trait to be an M's fan, but it might be more like steelheading than just fly fishing :)

5. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

LOL Jesse that is the only way the Mariners are going to be world champs ;)

6. Jarin Jones

Jarin Jones Member

Good idea posting a sports topic, its definately my strength knowledge wise. The A's have got to be the worst team in baseball right now. Hopefully Montero will come out strong and live up to his reputation of being a guy that can hit 20-25 hrs a year, they'll need the run support BAD.

7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    I was thinking the same thing, Skysoldier; it's an exhibition game, right? Whoopie-Do!! Let's see how they play in real life, considering how they played last season. Not, mind you, that I actually follow base-a-buru, but it seems to me that it was a cause for celebration when they won a game last year, no?

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    These two games in Japan are the real deal. Regular games don't start until April for the rest of the teams.

The Mariners come back to Arizona to finish the pre-season after the second game. Why they did it this way is a stupid mystery to me.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Not an exhibition game. Regular season games. Now 1-1. Stupidest thing is now that these two regular season games are in the books, they do play another spring training exhibition series.

10. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Deja vu Jesse. Today they are 1-1 which is above their average but the handwriting is on the wall. Hernandez goes 8 strong in the opener, strikes out a bunch, walks no one, gives up 1 run and ends up with no decision. Sounds just like last year. The series ends with them only scoring 4 runs and it looks like their pitching staff is going to have to have about a 1.95 ERA collectively to have any chance at all. They did little to improve the club over the winter so I would assume that a 75-87 record would be about all they can accomplish this year.

I think they should move just like the Sonics did. Once the Sonics left town and didn't have to spend so much time travelling they were freed up to concentrate on basketball and turned into a powerhouse. The M's should move to Salt Lake City and become the Mormites. They could still be called the M's but the travel time to various cities would be greatly reduced and they might be able to lure some better players that are apprehensive about being stationed in an outpost like Seattle. An added benefit would be that Mitt Romney would be available to do the anaylist duties, surely he couldn't be any worse than Blowers and Simms.

Just yankin' your chain Jess, I know that you are an incorrigable Mariners fan.

Ive

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Great minds must think alike.

12. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    MLB baseball in Japan is great PR for baseball. Having the games early gives the teams a chance to get back to the states rest up and get ready for the real season.
    I think it's pretty cool.
    The M's are .500 so there is still joy in Mudville.
    jesse

13. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Ivan two games into the season and you are already writing them off?:eek:
    I keep telling you turn off the audio on the TV and listen to Rick Risz on the radio.
    jesse

14. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Nevermind . . .

15. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

You do realize that opening day in Seattle falls on Friday the 13th.

Just sayin
    TC

16. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    .500 for the season but .250 for the trip...... 3 losses, 1 win. They got their asses beat by the TOKYO Giants 9-3 and kept the embarrassment going with a 5-1 loss to the Hanshin Tigers. Those games got zero press in Seattle.......of course......yet were considered to be enormous sources of national pride in Japan. My Japanese friends have been gloating all week. I had to buy 3 rounds of sake last night.

17. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Mingo I feel that he Mariners were very gracious in Japan. Seattle was playing two exhibition games but Tokyo and Hanshin were playing for National pride. I look at it like having a competition with a good friend the outcome is not nearly as important as the game itself. Thats my story and I am sticking to it:)
    The only reason you feel bad is that you had to buy the Saki, I hope you bought the good stuff.
    jesse

Mingo likes this.
  18. Jarin Jones

Jarin Jones Member

On the topic of Seattle sports, any thought on the new Seahawks jerseys?
    http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...46d98dab#07f70484-2e77-4807-8060-a27759d309f3
    I had a hard time copying all of the jersey combinations and helmet but thye link has them all. I think there pretty nice, the helmet is pretty cool looking too. Im excited to see a real quarterback in Matt Flynn playing for us next season, Not T-Joke, or what I call him, T-choke. I say they win 9 games this year with marshawn lynch doing great again this year and Flynn having a good year. If they can add a guy like Luke Kuechly or Melvin Ingram in the draft and stay healthy I think they will really suprise some people.

[​IMG]

19. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    M's question: anyone know where I can stream live games online? I don't have cable and MLB.com only gives you access if you don't live in the area.

And Jarin, I'm pretty stoked about Flynn, I think we'll have a decent quarterback, if not a good one here real soon!