Marley and me A must see!!

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Leroy Laviolet, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    If you love your dog, go see this. it's not a hunting movie, but it's a dog lovers movie, and simply an awesome flick...:thumb:

2. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'll second that. My wife and daughter just finished reading the book, so we saw the movie yesterday. I'm not the least bit ashamed to admit I shed more than a tear at the movie. It hits close to home for those who've had and have dogs in their lives.

3. funfisher

funfisher Fish On!

I saw this with my wife and two other couples on Xmas Day. It is a really fun movie and there wasn't one of us that left the theatre with a dry eye. If you have dogs or cats, you will go home and give 'em a big hug after this one. Geezuz, I sound like a little girl. Sorry :-(
    :beathead:

4. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Yeah, true dat. Shook me a bit because the last version of Marley looks exactly like my dog (an older version).

It also reminded me of the dog I grew up with - from age 5 to 20, that dog was like my brother. You don't realize how close you are to your dog till they reach the end of life.

Great movie - definitely Five Stars for that one.

5. Leroy Laviolet

Media:
    Man, I cryed like a baby, I think the whole theater full of folks did . I will again, when I watch it again, I'm sure! I have the book to read yet. Well worth it , the kind of movie that makes one think about perspecitve in life and what really matters in this crazy life we live in-
    There's something about a dog , about a lab, about at yellow...

6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    My wife got me a wonderful book this Christmas: Old Dogs are the best dogs.

I've got nothing against cute puppies, but that theme's been covered again and again.

"Anyone who has ever loved an old dog will love Old Dogs. In this collection of profiles and photographs, Weingarten and Williamson document the unique appeal of man's best friend in his or her last, and best, years.

This book is a tribute to every dog who has made it to that time of life when the hearing and eyesight begin to go, when the step becomes uncertain, but when other, richer traits ripen and coalesce. It is when a dog attains a special sort of dignity and a charm all his own.

If you've known a favorite old dog, you'll find him or her on these pages. Your dog might go by a different name and have a different shape, but you'll recognize him or her by the look in an eye or the contours of a life story. There is the dog who thinks he is a house cat; the herder, the fetcher, the punk and the peacock, the escape artist, the demolition artist, the patrician, the lovable lout, the amiable dope, the laughable clown, the schemer, the singer, the daredevil, the diplomat, the politician, the gourmand, and the thief."

K

[​IMG]

7. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Read the book, haven't seen the movie. But my sister-in-law has and says that the death scene is just way too long and brutal (particularly compared to it's overall length in the book). People getting up and walking out of the theater that she saw it in and reviews on the net tend to echo that sentiment.

Now, you know how internet whining goes, so perhaps it isn't that bad. But it might be something to think about before you took a kid to see the movie.

8. Leroy Laviolet

Media:
    I wood say the end is VERY accurate as to the reality of how most old dogs and people for that matter die. If a person has issues with faceing these realities in life, so be it- With that said, if one isn't able to see this reality in a cinema, they probably should adopt a chia pet...:D
    No one left at the theater I was at, and everyone clapped at the end-
    life isn't always a fairy tail , but if one can take an old dogs death , and in time by remembering all the good, turn it to a celebration of his life, It will again become what it was, one of the most fullfilling things one can experience in life.......:thumb:

9. Itchy Dog

Media:
    Home Page:
    I didn't think the "end" was drawn out or too long. Accurate yes, having been in that situation two times as an adult. Nobody left the theater we were in either. It was a sad event, but not tragic. Overall the story was a celebration of a dog's life, and I didn't come away feeling down or anything close to that.

10. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Like I said, this is just second hand (or internet) information. But I wanted to put it out there. Anyone who hadn't read the book and had just seen the "goofy holiday movie" ads on TV might be in for a real shock if they took the kids for a family movie day.

11. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

I'll second the perception that it was handled well and realistically - if your kids have pets they love you might have to confront this reality a lot closer to home.

12. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    I balled like a child who lost his first ice cream cone....literally the waterworks just kept coming

I have 3 dogs, all yellow labs.

Willow is my first lab, and she's 13 a lot like the older version of Marley. This is the first year she hasnt hunted and you can see the best days are well beyond her

Dakota is our middle pooch. Shes 4, in her prime and hunts like its her purpose, but is the absolute best family dog

Then there's Murphy, our new pup, just over a year old. Full of spunk and absolute craziness, she's just starting her journey in the field and is rounding out to be a beautiful lady doggie who is a character at home

So...the movie really hit home, especially how they got the dog in the first place to stave off having kids for a bit. That's where I am at, and we are on the verge of starting a family, or at least trying.

Again, I cried like a baby

13. Brian Shipley

Brian Shipley New Member

Marley and Me - the book was ok, haven't seen the movie and probably won't. Apparently the author/owner of Marley was not the smartest or knowledgeable as far as dog owners go. The best dog book I've ever read was Merle's Door, highly recommended

14. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

I totally agree with Mr. Shipley above!!!!!!!! Merle's Door was by far a more realistic and wonderful book.

15. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I also absolutely loved Ted Kerasote's "Merle's Door". It was such a moving great book-much better than Marley IMO! Rick

16. SoldierMedic

SoldierMedic New Member

I wish I'd read this thread prior to watching the movie in a tent with 35 other guys around. I'm glad the lights were off, that's for sure.

17. Itchy Dog

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just remember these Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy:

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."