Marmot Lake; Alpine Lakes Wilderness

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by robl, Nov 16, 2005.

1. robl

robl Member

Media:
    Has anyone fished Marmot and Jade lakes up in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness?

I was there in July and did OK on Marmot. A few small cutts and bows. We were fishing small leeches under indicators. I couldn't get a thing in the milky Jade water although Jade lake is probably the most beautiful place I have ever been.

2. Finni

Finni Member

Media:
    I was up there in late August and did fairly well at Marmot on anything that I could get in front of a fish (hares ear, doc sprately, olive rabbit leech, etc.). I loved seeing the fish swimming by, because the water was so clear, it almost looked as if they were suspended in air (but water). For the most part, the difficulty was getting a good cast out without snagging the trees and brush behind me. Roll casts on a 4 weight just didn't seem to do the trick. My friend caught a beautiful cutt about 12" (big for those lakes) in full spawning colors but flopped away before we could get a good picture of it (he was using a spoon on gear).

I agree that Jade is a gorgeous lake, and I did see a fish rise, but the clarity of the water would probably deter most fishing attempts. That whole area is gorgeous (Jade, Marmot, and No Name Lake and all the peaks around), with the fishing, the hike, and the huckleberries as just an added bonus.

Figuring out a way to get out a bit deeper might be productive, but lugging a float tube all the way up there is a bit insane.

Finni