Married Spey Wing

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by speyman, Jan 5, 2003.

1. speyman

speyman Member

I would like to take a Bronze Mallard Spey wing and divide it in two and add a fibre or two from dyed swan to create a stripe. I would love some input as to how you marry a wing like this. Do you leave the marralrd on the stem and cut the stem or just divide it all up on the desk?

Speyman

2. speyneznbhm

speyneznbhm New Member

WOW MUST BE THE RAIN AND HIGH WATER CAUSE I SPENT THE DAY MARRYING WINGS FOR MY DEE STRIPS USING MULTY COLORS AND TYPES OF SPECIES HERE'S MY 2 CENTS ON MARRYING WINGS

1. PAUL JORGENSONS BOOK MUST BE ON YOPUR TYING DESK FOR GOOD LUCK AND KARMA
    2. I NEVER USE ANYTHING IN GOOSE BUT THE SHOULDERS FINE ENOUGH TO MARRY WITH DUCK AND LARGE ENOUGH TO MARRY WITH TURKEY,CAN'T GET BUSTURD YA KNOW
    3. NO MATTER HOW HARD I LOOK I NEVER FIND FEATHERS ALL VARITIES THAT ARE LONG ENOUGH JUST ACCEPT IT JOHN AND QUITE WINEING
    4.AS FOR YOU DEAL SOUNDS VERY COOL THIS IS HARD TO DESCRIBE BUT THIS IS WHAT I DO BUILD THE WING FOM THE MIDDLE OUT USE OVERSIZE STRIPS 4 INSTEAD OF 2 THEN USE YOUR NEEDLE TO PULL THE EXTRAS AWAY FIRST DO THE TOP ABOVE WHATEVER IS YOUR MIDDLE THEN THE BOTTOM ETC. THEN TOP TILL ITS BUILT I WOULD CUT MALLARD AWAY SO THAT I COULD MOVE IT FROM TOP TO BOTTOM DEPANDING WHERE IT FIT BEST WITH GOOSE THAT I CHOOSE I'M SURE YOUR NOT USING PRIMARY'S CAUSE THE WOULD BE WAY TO THICK
    5. TYPING SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION ON FLY FISHN FORUM DONT COUNT

HOPE ALL THIS HELPS SOME NICE TO KNOW THAT THERE IS OTHERS OUT THERE CRAZY ENOUGH TO SPEND LONG HOURS AND LOTS OF CASH( I ONCE PRICED OUT A GP SPEY THAT I DESIGNED AT 6.85 COST WITHOUT TIOME SPNT ) E-MAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO BS ABOUT THIS REALLY TWISTED PART OF FLY TYING

JOHN

3. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Although I think it is possible to marry mallard with swan, I think you should think about dying mallard to achieve the same results. Swan can be large at the base of the strip which makes it difficult to match with the thin strips of mallard. Contrary to what some people do, I cut the mallard from the quill(stem).

I's suggest expiramenting with acid dyes so that you can obtain some brilliant effects with mallard. Your intentions are rare since most people aren't interested in marrying wings for spey flies. The exception is Dee winged versions. I have seen a ton of strip winged flies made of swan or turkey but rarely do I see married mallard.

4. DEREK

DEREK New Member

I think troutman is right on. I don't think they will marry well. Mallard typically does not marry well to anything anyhow, and is rarely married even in classic atlantic patterns.

I have always cut the mallard from the stem as well, and have been wondering if I'm missing out on something. But I think my wings are okay, and I've seen troutmans, and I think they are quite nice.

Another Idea for adding color on top of a spey would be to add horns of macaw tail or goose. Not necessarily traditional on a spey, but the look nice and are easy to do. And besides, mallard is so fragile that after a few casts, the wings will split and you'll wind up with goose horns anyhow.