Married Wing Attempt

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Warren Perry, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Warren Perry

Warren Perry Grizzly 6

I've been trying my hand at married wings. This is what I came up with. It is loosely based on an old fly called the Attorney.

Hook: Alec Jackson size 5
    Tip: Oval Silver
    Tail: Golden Pheasant crest
    Butt: Peacock
    Body: Yellow Floss and Peacock
    Rib: Oval Gold
    Hackle: Blue Eared Phaesant
    Wing: Slips of Red, Brown, yellow and green.

I think I need better wing material and larger hooks....

Warren

2. Micke

Micke Guest

Its look fine,what you use to the wings? I have tried to make married wings to and its not so easy.
    I used Turkey or Goose to the Wing,and I think its going better whit larger hooks:thumb:

3. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Warren,

The wings are just a tad out of focus to my old eyes, but they seem to tent very nicely. I have to comment on your floss work though. That is super smooth, my friend. Did you just wrap it that way or spend some time burnishing? Good floss work indicates good prep work, like laying a smooth underbody.

For married wings on spey and salmon flies, try the goose shoulders. They marry easily and take to turkey and pheasant very nicely too.

Niccely done.

REE

4. Marty

Marty New Member

5s are a little small, I like tying married wings on 1.5s. Married wings are not easy and I would recommend working on some basic strip wings first. Goose shoulder is easy to find and great to work with. I have found that hareline has the best colors but you do need to dig through the bags to find the best feathers. I attach both wings at the same time using the pinch method but find tying one in at a time will also work. One thing to remember is when compressing the wing against the hook the shape of the wing will change. If you want a broader (wider) wing you will need to make the tips more square when marrying the fibers together. You can pre hump the wing to see how it will look. Married wings are difficult but when you get it right there is nothing more stylish and graceful. Keep up the good work and you floss work is truly amazing.

5. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Hell of alot better than If I tried to tie that.

Looks great to me.

6. Warren Perry

Warren Perry Grizzly 6

Ron,

I just wrapped it... I must have been lucky. When I lay the base I just try to make it as smooth as possible.

Thanks to all for the comments and advice... I will keep working to get better.

Warren

7. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Damn dude; you tie a beautiful spey.

8. reamse

reamse New Member

Looks real good.

I'd try to do it too, but I can never get the hackle to flare out nice like that.