Massive Utah brown, and some other Beauties

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Jake L, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Jake L

Jake L New Member

So here are my pics from my Utah trip. Some of the pictures don't display the fish very well, but hopefully they are enjoyable nonetheless.

Note: Unfortunately that biggest brown wasn't C&R'd. It's gills were tangled in the fight and it wouldn't have survived, I felt terrible because it must be at least 5 years old. It weighed 5.5 lbs gutted. The picture is a terrible one of the Brook Trout, but it was 18-19 inches and probably weighed around 3 pounds I wish the colors could have been shown, so pretty. I caught many thinner browns from 14-19 inches.

Oh and to avoid flak for that Cutt, I wasn't targeting it and I didn't set it down on the bank, I just held it gently there for a quick picture, it certainly was released safely and quickly. Beautiful fish huh? Any input on what type of Cutthroat? I think the possibilities are Bonneville, Yellowstone, West Slope, or Colorado River cutthroat.

2. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Nice fish, and it looks like the weather treated you nice.

3. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

the cuttie looks like a colorado cutt and by the looks of the brookie you were likely in the boulder mountains. great fish!

4. Jake L

Jake L New Member

Yup, it was that one lake up on the Boulder, you know, the one that is just over that hillside behind the trees? The browns and cutts however were in a creek, the location of which might be in Utah, or it might not... I forget. :thumb:

5. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

That is a nice Colorado River Cutthroat that you got!! Great browns and brookie too. Looks like a great trip!!

6. Otis28

Otis28 New Member

Looks like a awesome trip, thanks for sharing the great pics.

Otis28

7. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Did you get a pic of the massive brown?

8. Jake L

Jake L New Member

:ray1: Smart-A$$. :thumb: It may have "only" been 22 inches, but it still weighed AT LEAST 7 lbs. And I caught it out of a stream that you can jump across any time between July-March. Its massive in my book. But perhaps I'm just easily pleased.

Cheers.

9. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

:beer2:

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

Beat me to it. :beathead:

11. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

That brown has an adipose fin nearly as big as its dorsal! Looks like a great trip man. :beer2:

12. Jake L

Jake L New Member

Ya if I hadn't had to keep it, I would have been tempted to cut the fin off just for a prize! :ray1: But that would be unethical and I should be ashamed...:(:hmmm:

13. Gertie's Pa

Gertie's Pa New Member

Great trip. I spent last summer in the Logan area. The Blacksmith Fork has some great browns and I swear the upper Logan has a 15" cutt behind every rock.

14. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

is that brown in the middle the massive one?