Massive Utah brown, and some other Beauties

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Jake L, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Jake L New Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So here are my pics from my Utah trip. Some of the pictures don't display the fish very well, but hopefully they are enjoyable nonetheless.

Note: Unfortunately that biggest brown wasn't C&R'd. It's gills were tangled in the fight and it wouldn't have survived, I felt terrible because it must be at least 5 years old. It weighed 5.5 lbs gutted. The picture is a terrible one of the Brook Trout, but it was 18-19 inches and probably weighed around 3 pounds I wish the colors could have been shown, so pretty. I caught many thinner browns from 14-19 inches.

Oh and to avoid flak for that Cutt, I wasn't targeting it and I didn't set it down on the bank, I just held it gently there for a quick picture, it certainly was released safely and quickly. Beautiful fish huh? Any input on what type of Cutthroat? I think the possibilities are Bonneville, Yellowstone, West Slope, or Colorado River cutthroat.
  2. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Nice fish, and it looks like the weather treated you nice.
  3. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    the cuttie looks like a colorado cutt and by the looks of the brookie you were likely in the boulder mountains. great fish!
  4. Jake L New Member

Sammamish, WA
    Yup, it was that one lake up on the Boulder, you know, the one that is just over that hillside behind the trees? The browns and cutts however were in a creek, the location of which might be in Utah, or it might not... I forget. :thumb:
  5. gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Gig Harbor, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    That is a nice Colorado River Cutthroat that you got!! Great browns and brookie too. Looks like a great trip!!
  6. Otis28 New Member

Spokane
    Looks like a awesome trip, thanks for sharing the great pics.

Otis28
  7. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Did you get a pic of the massive brown?
  8. Jake L New Member

Sammamish, WA

:ray1: Smart-A$$. :thumb: It may have "only" been 22 inches, but it still weighed AT LEAST 7 lbs. And I caught it out of a stream that you can jump across any time between July-March. Its massive in my book. But perhaps I'm just easily pleased.

Cheers.
  9. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    :beer2:
  10. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0

Beat me to it. :beathead:
  11. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    That brown has an adipose fin nearly as big as its dorsal! Looks like a great trip man. :beer2:
  12. Jake L New Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ya if I hadn't had to keep it, I would have been tempted to cut the fin off just for a prize! :ray1: But that would be unethical and I should be ashamed...:(:hmmm:
  13. Gertie's Pa New Member

Lacey, WA
    Great trip. I spent last summer in the Logan area. The Blacksmith Fork has some great browns and I swear the upper Logan has a 15" cutt behind every rock.
  14. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    is that brown in the middle the massive one?