Maxwell's Green Highlander 4/0

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Dec 16, 2012.

1. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    I tied this fly earlier in the summer and just revisited it yesterday at a tying show i was participating in.

The pattern is interesting (to me at least) in the it doesn't have an underwing (usually tippets on GH's) virtually no sides/cheeks etc (except the JC which i tied long and low to fill the space under the wing) and there is no green in the wing!

Anyways. Hope you guys like this one as much as the Floodtide 4/0XL i posted earlier in the week.

[IMG]
  2. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +504 / 0
    Really nice tie Eunan, OK wheres the roof? One thing I try and do, if I have the right color, is to use the same color, in this case kingfisher blue, as I use in the wings too match the guinea on the collar, I just like the way it looks. I've ended
    up with a lot of royal blue turkey and run out of kingfisher blue for this reason.
    Mark.
  3. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +983 / 1
    In the immortal words of Jackie Gleason "How sweet it is".
    Jack
  4. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    Thanks guys.

This one has no roof, i just went back and checked the pattern listing from Fishing at Home and abroad!
    When i first tied this pattern in the summer, i didnt like the light blue goose in the wing, thus, i changed this one to dark blue.
    But i get what you're saying...it would give a better look, and as will all these flies, it depends on the preference of the tyer.

Here's the pattern, only thing i changed was seals fur instead of pigs wool. Its also interesting that the 'horns' are listed as 'wings' in the pattern.

[IMG]