Maxxon Cat Tube Question

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Robert Engleheart, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

For those of you with Cats with 14' Maxxon tubes, I've a few questions:
    1. Oars; Carlisle or Cataract or ?
    2. Oar length? My frame is 8' long x 31" wide at bottom and 60" wide at oarlocks.
    3. I want a Cat that'll draft 3-4 inches with 500-700 lb. load; am I in the ballpark?
    Thanks in advance,

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have 14' Maxxons. With that load you may be drafting deeper than you like. I have had fro 8'5" to 10' oars. Prefer mine at 10'. My frame measurements are very clues to yours.

3. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Ed, do you have a preference on oar mfgr's?

4. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    Robert-

I'm just getting into a boat myself and have had many of my noob questions answered by searching through rafting sites, namely mountain buzz. www.mountainbuzz.com

There's also a heap of used boats on there,Craigslist (check 'rafty' areas like Bend, Or, Idaho, Colorado, etc.), and most manufacturers have a used section on their websites as well.

You didn't ask, but in regards to safety, I'll suggest looking at a throw bag, learning how to toss a coiled rope, and maybe getting a whitewater book to help you read water, and learn a couple of strokes. Sure, it's not like you're going to be hittin' class V's but it's not going to hurt giving them a once over either.

Two that are suggested regularly are:

Whitewater Rafting Manual. Johnson

The Complete Whitewater Rafter. Bennett

Both are available on Amazon

5. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Constructeur,
    Thanks for the link. I do have the basics down, ran DB's and currently own 2 Scadden 10'-6" models. What I'm up to is that, thanks to scadden's frames, I can couple up my 2 Sky frames and make 1- two person, 8' long frame. The problem is the tubes, at 10'-6" x 15", are too small to run Class II and up water with 2 adults on board. With the 14' tubes, I can easily run 2 or even 3 folk on the boat with the degree of safety I'd like. I am looking for sites/forums. Thanks.

6. rtl

rtl New Member

7. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Robert,

We got 9' Carlisle oars for the 14' Cat we just built using Maxxon tubes. For the most part, the frame width, not the pontoon length will determine the best oar length. We use Carlisle and Cataract and have used Sawyer in the past. If I were doing a boat for me, I'd get counterbalanced Cataract SSG rope wrapped oars in 9' length.

14' pontoons is a great length for fishing two people; one in front and one in back of the rower, similar to a drift boat. If you were looking for just transportation, you could easily use a bench seat for the front or back module and add another person comfortably (or two) or mount two swivel seats side by side but it would be much more difficult to fish from.

Finally, we have a set of 14' Maxxon pontoons that you could throw your frame on and try out before buying a new set if that would help you make a better decision.

8. jumbo215

jumbo215 Jasper hickman

Media:
    I'd give the new lamiglas oars a look also, besides looking awesome I've been hearing great things about them. I'll be ordering a set soon for my boat.

9. Ed Call

Media:
    I started with, and have stuck with Cataracts. Loved their mini magnums so I went for their large oars too.

10. shawn k

shawn k Member

I hear the lamis are real stiff.

check out the rocky mountain rafts catarafts. They have a 14 ft and 16 ft cat and they are welded as opposed to being glued and are a couple hundred bucks more than maxxons but wont have the longetivity problems that the maxxon eventually will have.

11. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Thanks, Shawn. Look like good stuff! So many choices...............

12. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    I like my Lamiglas Graphite oars a lot.

You are in the ball park for draft. I run 3 guys on my 14' all the time. Maxxon does make a 14' 25" tubes as well now too.

13. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Shawn,
    The Rocky's look nice for the price. Know anything good or bad about them?

14. shawn k

shawn k Member

One of my friends just bought a set. They are more like the NrS tubes. in shape. Like I said before they are welded instead of glued
    which will add to the life span of the boat plus they have leafield valves instead of halkey roberts valves so if you ever have to replace a valve you will have a easy time getting one.

15. BirdyinBOI

BirdyinBOI Member

Dang...while my frame is not finished, it will be about 59"at the oarlocks. I have 10' Maxxon tubes. I was gonna get custom 8' Mini-Mags through NRS and I let a guy at Aire talk me out of them in favor of 7 1/2's. I may be sorry but I'm sure I can send the 7 1/2's back if they're too short.

16. Ed Call

Media:
    Your oars are probably right on point. I have a frame that has my oar towers on some custom NRS wings. These wings add overall width to my frame and allow for virtually infinite fore-aft and height placement of my oarlocks. This feature led me to try the longer oars. This is just my personal preference and likely many others would find my 10' oars a bit longer than they might like.

17. Ed Call

Media:
  18. BirdyinBOI

BirdyinBOI Member

Ahhhh...I see. Thanks for the photo. I was struggling as to what exactly to do for oarlock "stands". My frame is 1" SCH 40 aluminum pipe...1.315 O.D which is too small for the NRS stands. I'd like my oarstands to be adjustable foremost because I didn't want to weld them on without knowing for sure where to put them but also because my seat will have 10" of travel. I've pretty much decided (not bent and welded yet) that since I have to put a splice in the outside of the frame somewhere that I will splice the tube at the oarlocks and then sleeve 1 1/4 tube over the splice which should make the splice stronger and well as give me the correct diameter for the NRS oar stands. I tried it on my PVC mock-up of the frame and it looks like it will work fine.

19. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Done Deal! I'm heading up to the East Bay to pick up some 14' x 22" tubes
    RMR catarafts.jpg
    Then to meet a Kiene's board member to pick up a pair of 9' Cataract oars. I'm very excited.
    Big props to Shawn K for suggesting the RMR tubes. Only a few hundred more than Maxxon's and welded, not glued. Great value.

20. shawn k

shawn k Member

post pics of your boat when you get it done.