Mayfly question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by orangeradish, Jul 27, 2010.

1. orangeradish Bobo approved

Ratings: +491 / 0
    I saw a mayfly on the little D last night. It looked to be about a size 16 or 18. It had clear wings and a clear body , 3 tails and a bit of bright red either near the head or tail of the slender body. (can't recall which.) They were doing the spinner thing of flying about a foot straight up and falling about 1.5 feet near riffly water at about 8:30 PM. I poked around a bit on the interwebs looking for an answer with no luck, so I ask you, hive-brain. What was it?

An afterthought. I wonder how irritated my wife would be seeing that I can remember all that about a tiny bug, yet consistently forget to take the trash cans to the curb.
  2. RobGriz Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    did you look on troutnut.com?
  3. orangeradish Bobo approved

Nah. Westfly. Figured it'd be NW oriented.
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Ratings: +1,518 / 9
    Tricorythid mayflies are pretty small, 3-10mm
    Leptophlebiidae can be pretty small, 4-18mm
    Heptageniidae can be pretty small, 5-20mm
    Ephemerella are pretty small, 4-15mm

These are all in the water, and not sure if they are local or not, my guide is from another region but recommended by a bug master that I trust.
    Did the camera guy not have his camera? I know you caught some with your hat, but no photos? I tied some pretty small yellow sallies with a few wraps of red thread on their backass. I like fishing pattern because I like fish slime!
  5. orangeradish Bobo approved

Good looking out, Ed. I Mumbled...er googled those bugs you mentioned. A few pics looked pretty close, but I'm not sure if any of those were it. I fish at that spot a few days a week. I'll shift focus away from blowing hooksets, and towards bug photos.
  6. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Look at you guys, One trip down the river together and you're both going buggy. You're off by two months they;'e July flies now and your wife would really be pissed and you would be grounded no boating for a month. I'm sure mine would be even less understanding after all I'm obbsesed with fishing. And all mumbles can think is tiny things. Good luck cominng out of this one stilll sane.
  7. Taxon Moderator

Ratings: +112 / 0
    Did it look like this?

[IMG]
  8. RobGriz Member

Troutnut does a pretty good job. I have learned a lot from both sites
  9. orangeradish Bobo approved

Oh, not our first trip. :thumb:
    Thanks for the reply. Too brown in the body. I wonder if it's one of the ones mentioned, but in a different phase than in the photos I looked at. I'll get some photos.
  10. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

11. Taxon Moderator

Okay, how about this?

[IMG]
  12. RobGriz Member

How wierd is it that I think those are really awesome pictures? That ain't wierd, right fella's...right?
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

They are really awesome pictures and Taxon is the bug man extraordinaire. You should google Roger Rohrbeck and click his link in the signature box. If you like bugs, you'll really like this guy!
  14. Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

15. orangeradish Bobo approved

As long as ou were still wearing pants whilst looking at them, you're good.:rofl:

Noooooo...

Nooooooo.....

DING DING DING! i think that's the bug. Thanks so much for the help. That was kind of like a police lineup.
    Sir, do you see the bug that stole your wallet?
    Uhh..are you sure they can't see me?
    We're sure. Which one?
    Uhhh, number 4 I think.
    Good sir. number 4 step forward.
  16. Taxon Moderator

The suspect you identified is a male imago (spinner) of genus Paraleptophlebia, probably either P. memoralis or P. temporalis.
  17. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Ratings: +896 / 0
    Jason, I'm just saying I can see (sort of) the logic in it......
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Taxon=Money