NFR McGinn asks Seattle retailers for voluntary gun control

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Tool Fly, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Tool Fly

Tool Fly Member

Grrrrrr... I seldom post in this section, but need to vent. I live in W. Seattle and have a concealed carry permit. I don't use it as often as I should (which is always), but I typically carry whenever I go to a local park or a late night convenience store in my neighborhood.

So our dipshit mayor (in an effort to garner more of a share of the liberal vote away from his competitor) is asking retailers to voluntarily put up "No gun zone" stickers. I am on a slow boil here. First it was his illegal parks restriction for handguns (overturned) and now more of his personal agenda.

I believe he will lose this election (maybe I just really hope so), but enough is enough. I intend to tell any (W. Seattle) retailer that carries the sticker that they have lost my business, in person.

Crime is everywhere. At least in Seattle, common sense is nowhere to be found.

Thanks for letting me vent. Good shooting and fishing to you all.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021642307_gunfreebusinessesxml.html

Toolio

Jack Devlin, Munro and speyfisher like this.
  2. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Good for you. I would encourage everyone else having a Concealed Carry Permit to do the same. Even those not having a CCP should follow suit. 7-11 stores are not called stop & rob for nothing. I refuse trade with business' promoting that line of thought.

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Unfortunately your dipshit mayor was elected by the dipshit majority of citizens of Seattle. Whatcha wanna make a bet they elect another dipshit?

At least now the crooks won't be scared to hold up a store with that "rob me" sticker...

4. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Seattle voters deserve what they get. I avoid Seattle, and the restaurants / shops as the citizens have made it very clear that they want me to stay out of "their" city. Of course, if I wear a black bandana and travel in a group, I can pretty much do what I want.......

Jack Devlin, Alex MacDonald and Roper like this.
  5. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

I'm not going to debate the pro's and con's of the Mayor's initiative - I'm sure others will do a better job.

It does show real desperation on the mayor's part. It's such an obvious attempt at inventing issues simply to get re-elected. As a citizen of Seattle (oh, wait, am I a resident or inhabitant of Seattle? what's the right term these days?) I really fear that his tactics will work.

6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Was down at Elliott's Bay Books today and dropped my pistol in the basket at the door...I have to say, the feeling was very liberating. I almost felt dirty re-holstering as I exited. This could work, it really could work.

gunfree.jpg

Rob Hardman, Munro and Tool Fly like this.
  7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Really? Tell me you are joking. I don't know you well enough to know if you are joking or serious. Dropped your pistol in a basket?

8. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Ed, we drank beer together... hell, we're practically brothers ;). Of course I'm friggin joking... amazingly however some that live in the "Land of Oz" are not. Any store with one of these stickers won't get my business...whether I'm exercising my 2nd amendment right or not.

Ed Call likes this.
  9. Ed Call

Media:
    Dang, you got me with that one!

10. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    But gun free zones work so well in Oakland.
    Just ask the people hiring their own security for protections in suburbs of Oakland
    Oakland did away with guns and now they do not even feel safe walking their dogs in the middle of the day and many blocks are pooling money together to rent their own protection.

11. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    Bout' time something like this came down the pipeline, I've been waiting for years to enjoy my trendy cupcakes without worrying if the little girl next to me was packin' heat or not.

Islander, jersey, Roper and 1 other person like this.
  12. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    HA! That's nearly verbatim what I said to my wife this past weekend as we walked by a "McGinn for Mayor" sign in our neighborhood.

13. Ed Call

Media:
    Gun free zone = target rich environment

There must be a better equation. Have we learned nothing?

Josh Smestad likes this.
  14. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Voluntary disarming never works on the ones who plan to come shoot up the joint.

15. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    I'll have to double-check but my recollection is that WA law doesn't require a CCW holder to follow the "gun free" zone signs unless those signs are gov't posted (i.e., courthouses, schools (w/ exception), etc.). In other words, an individual business can't mandate your ability to carry.

16. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

If you are "made" at a commercial establishment, the business owner/manager can ask you to leave. If you refuse, you can be cited for trespassing but not for a firearms violation. I reckon that's why they call it "concealed-carry" . . .

Ed Call and constructeur like this.
  17. Mike Munro

Mike Munro Member

Unfortunately, a privately owned business can decide for themselves what constitutes an enforceable violation of the state's trespassing laws, i.e., "no shirt; no shoes; a gun = no service."

18. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

With decent concealment, I wouldn't think a business owner can do much. If they suspect you have a gun, they can ask you to leave, but it's not like they can search you.

19. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Washington is, I believe, an "Open Carry" state? if so, you actually don't even have to try and conceal a weapon if you don't want too, I know several people, including one woman who carry right out in plain view (big 45's). You lose the element of surprise, of course, but then to each his/her own. I have my CCW permit and I'm proud of it, as for Seattle I think a person would be more than stupid to be there without a weapon, especially if you're a white male heterosexual....ummmm-like me. I stay as far away as I can from that cess-pool which is good for me and them anyway.

LB

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  20. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    I'm not sure I see that as "unfortunate" in that it's the same rights all of share for all of our properties. However, I don't see it as intelligent to kick a CCW holder out of your business. And, on the flip side, I won't likely be in that business anyway. I make an effort to vote with my dollars.