NFR McGinn asks Seattle retailers for voluntary gun control

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Tool Fly, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Mike Munro

Mike Munro Member

I guess 'unfortunate' was a poor word choice. The point I was trying to make is that it seems ridiculous that businesses can use one state law to override another, simply because they don't agree with the right that law intends to protect. So I wholeheartedly agree that businesses—and pun fully intended here—are shooting themselves in the foot if they do so.

On a side note, what I find humorous is that some of the businesses (bars) that are putting up the signs are places where state law already prohibits carry of any kind.

Tool Fly likes this.
  2. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Seattle's mayor is a moron, and no different from the last shit-for-brains moron they had. You'd think they'd be ready for someone with a modicum of intelligence, but nope, no such luck. I don't go to Seattle unless absolutely necessary, and when I do, I carry. Besides, concealed means just that. They're not going to search you, and what they don't know won't hurt them. All they can do is ask you to leave, as has been mentioned already.

Bottom line; if "gun control" actually worked, Chicago and D.C. would look like fuckin` Mayberry. Strange that they don't, isn't it!

3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I actually believe in "gun control," wherein POA=POI. 'Course with a handgun it's more of a "point & shoot" interface. Same concept, different acronym.

4. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I was very proud to walk into my bank the other day and the customer in front of me was open carrying what looked like a 1911 A1 on his hip for all to see.
    Now I say no one made a fuss, no customer, no teller, no bank manager, no one.
    I had never felt safer in my bank, ever.
    Concealed carry is fine, open carry makes the point.

5. scottr

scottr Active Member

Media:
    I think this attempt by the Mayor is another PR misfire and businesses with this signs won't see a cent from me.

6. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Singing "I'd like to buy the world a coke" never stopped any crime. I wonder why they persist in stupidity? Must be something in the water, yes?

7. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    No, it's in the genes and it reached the critical stage where the process of natural selection has kicked in yet...I'm hoping it will be soon...

8. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Seattle is special in attitude, but they have very limited life experiences.

My daughter works in Seattle. The company has well over a hundred employees. She is the only one to ever fire a gun.

She went through the hunter safety class when 14. She asked about a concealed permit, but we got her bear spray instead. Seattle is a dangerous place at night. But, it is not dangerous IF you are part of the "special" people. I suspect most of them never notice that the frog is getting warm as the temperature in the pot heats up.

Watch the first 10 minutes of this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/. The rest of it is worthless. I suspect it is going to be quicker than 500 years for things to fall apart.

Ed Call likes this.
  9. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    So here's something interesting. If gun free is such a good idea why doesn't McDipshit lead by example? His driver is a Seattle policeman, armed. In City Hall there are armed guards. I think he should make City Hall a gun free zone...or is this idea just for the "common people"?

Ed Call likes this.
  10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

So let me get this straight,If I was gay I could sue a Bakery if they refuse to make me a wedding cake.But the same store can refuse to allow a person with a ccp permit to enter the store with a legally carried conceled weapon? Where the justice in this descrimination!

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    The law allows business owners to trespass those not complying with rules. Discrimination covers all the state language listed groups or affiliations. Gun owners are not protected in this anti-discrimination legislation.

Post your signs. Lose my business.

12. gofish101

gofish101 Member

I with some hesitation will chime in on this. First an owner of a store is refusing the weapon into the store, if you do not wish to disarm than shop elsewhere and how one compares this to gay rights I'm lost. I have gone into banks all my life and never felt unsafe. Seattle people have very limited life experiences that's a stretch, they may have different values or beliefs but I doubt less live experiences. Every time gun issues come up it seems to bring out so much passion that reason, discussion and comprimise are out the window. Living in Canada it's a different way up here. The owners of stores are not saying don't carry the firearm, just don't bring the firearm in the store. How many of you allow total strangers in your homes with firearms? I realize I will probably get slammed but I just don't get all hoppla. What I have observed is every time someone tries to regulate it all hell breaks loose. But do all of you go everywhere with your weapons... church, your daughters or sons birth or baptism, weddings and thelist goes on? Help me understand? Be easy on me folks.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  13. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    I'll give you my perspective on the subject. What blows my mind is that Mayor McDipshit encourages gun free zones while he's protected by those with guns. It's the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality of the political elite. These stickers will do nothing to protect anyone's safety. It's idiotic to think any criminal will obey a sticker if they don't obey laws. You can't legislate safety, nothing will stop some whacko bent on harming others, shy of effective self defense. It's all just feel good bullshit. McDipshit is doing all he can to get press coverage and votes.

The fact that people spend so much time, money, and effort on these useless acts is ridiculous. I really don't care what these store owners do, as I rarely go into Seattle anymore. Does anyone wonder why?

I carry my guns when I sport shoot, hunt, and have to go places I don't feel comfortable without one. Otherwise they're in my safe.

Was this easy enough...?

Jim Ficklin likes this.
  14. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Do I carry everywhere I can including church and to the mail box I can, in fact yes I do. I have known too many people {2} attacked by dogs just walking to their mailbox.

To do otherwise would mean I would have to leave my gun either not in my direct control or locked in a good strong safe at home. With the gun not secure 100% either in my control or locked up, leaves my gun open to possible theft or otherwise letting the gun get into the hands of someone who should not have a gun such as a young child.

As a gun owner I feel that since I make the choice to carry on a daily basis, that a shop not allowing me to bring my legal gun into their place of business means I have to either have to leave my gun in my car where I run the risk of it being ripped off and maybe being used in a crime or me having to chose to not shop at that store. Because of our gun laws I quite going to bars years ago when I started to carry and I do not shop in stores that do not allow me to carry because I as a responsible gun owner must always protect my gun from getting into the wrong hands.

Now if a store decides that they do not wish me to carry a gun into their property that is likely their right I am not a lawer with full understanding of gun laws but it means they are losing business of me and others that have already been through a back ground check to insure that we are law abiding sane people. It also will not likely to stop someone who already is going into the store ready, to maybe commit a crime and may even attract a person who wants to committed a crime on a place or people with less ability to protect themselves. Lets face in crimals often look for easy marks which is why the elderly and women are so ofen the victims of a crime.

I also want to point out that many who live and work in Seattle are not anti gun and that I work in down town Seattle and one of the more common non work conversations at work is on the shooting sports. To often I hear those Seattle people are anti gun and I just want to point out that is not true and in fact from my experince the anti guns are few but are more vocal then maybe the pro gun people are.

15. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    McGinn doesn't always get around Seattle in an armed vehicle, he often rides his bike to work. We had 3 different projects on his route last year, and it was like having an extra inspector the entire time we were there...

16. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    In fact, show me one example of any of the anti-gun zealots who preach their horseshit while not surrounded by armed security... Bloomberg and Feinstein being the poster children, but the list is long and includes Dems, Pubs, and a slew of celebrities.

17. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Yes.

18. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Ditto what Roper said. And yes, I carry everywhere that it is LEGAL to do so . . . my right, my decision, my choice. Business owners who post their establishments as "gun-free zones" are within their right to do so, but these establishments are also "me-free-zones" by default, and that would be another of my choices. If evil-doers, thugs, & criminals observed laws there wouldn't be murders, rapes, & robberies now, would there? Fortunately, I'm neither rich, famous, a political figure, or a member of America's self-perceived elite and thus have no armed security. So . . . I practice religiously & provide my own.

19. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Yes, I carry too. You may recall here in the U.S., it's a civil right to be able to have and carry "keep and Bear" is what our 2nd Amendment says specifically. Like voting, those of us who choose to exercise our civil right are doing just that: exercising a civil right. It bears repeating that the right to possess a firearm is NOT about duck hunting, but about being able to rein in an out-of-control government. Defense is actually secondary in the context of the Bill of Rights.

Philosophically, gun rights is no different from voting rights; both are civil rights enshrined in our constitution. Based on this thought, there is no difference between a poll tax and paying a fee for a firearm owner's identification card so you can have one, or a literacy test and a test to see if you know which end goes "bang". And don't give me the bullshit about "voting doesn't kill people, but guns do". If that were true, then it would give the lie to the chant of "Bush lied, thousands died". You can't have this both ways.

Based, as I said, on the argument that a civil right is a civil RIGHT, when the left tries to eliminate this from a group of people, I see them as being no different than the Klan after the civil war, albeit with different tactics. And I treat them the same way. We have a bunch of protections within our constitution that are there to prevent abuses by government, but it seems that most of these are thrown by the wayside when it comes to firearms. And yes, registration can indeed lead to confiscation-if you doubt that, just look at the "APPS" program initiated by California recently. Their attorney general decided to "merge" mental health data with their registration scheme, called their "dealer record of sale" data, which is kept by her office. If you ever took anti-depressant meds for example, the swat team shows up at your house unannounced and warrantless, and confiscates all your firearms, violating at least two provisions in our constitution.

The two problems I have with the idiot mayor of Seattle trying something stupid like this is that it's entirely hypocritical of him to do so, and if it actually worked, Chicago, Washington DC, and most of California would look entirely different than they do. Doing the same thing time after time and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. It's right up there with Vancouver (BC) deciding to "shun" gang bangers a few years ago. How'd that work out, by the way? Did they all just fall in line with proper behavior out of fear of social ostracism?

20. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    and by the way, I carry into these insipid "gun-free" zones too. You don't see it, but it's there, and your right to not go around with your panties in a wad doesn't supercede my right to defend myself. All they can do is ask you to leave, and since nobody knows I'm carrying, that doesn't happen.

constructeur likes this.