Meadowdale Park and Picnic Point Park

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by troutpounder, Jul 3, 2013.

1. troutpounder

troutpounder Active Member

I have fished both of these parks with little to no success. I was fishing on the incoming tide. Can anybody please give me some advice on if these are decent places to fish. I really like the structure and the creek coming into Meadowdale , but the hike in is kind of a pain. I saw some early salmon jumping last weekend at Picnic Point park . If someone can point me in the right direction on the Tides, or if these are even decent places to fish. Thank you very much for your help

2. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    I live just above these beaches. Fish Meadowdale on an outgoing tide (cutthroat mostly and some resident silvers at times). Picnic Point is best near a high tide for pinks in late August and early September. Some silvers can be caught at there as well, depends on conditions year to year. Both beaches can have too much seaweed if you fish the wrong side of the tide.
    It is very early in the salmon season (preseason really), so don't get frustrated. Mid-August to late September is the most productive time to salmon fish during most years. If there are abundant resident silvers in Puget Sound, then July can be very good too. I've heard that resident silver numbers are down this year and the pinks have yet to arrive in significant numbers. You should be catching cutts though.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  3. troutpounder

troutpounder Active Member

Thanks Dime!

4. flyfool

flyfool Active Member

I was at Picnic Point Wednesday evening, thinking I could catch the first hour of the ebb and maybe avoid the seaweed, but to no avail. Also I was curious about Picnic Point Lake, which I had no idea even existed until I google-earthed the area...you can't see it from the beach (just north of the park proper) because the railroad bed is so high.

I suppose it was created when the railroad was built, creating a sort of catchment basin for creek or rainwater runoff or whatever; regardless, I clambered up the rip-rap and had a look, cast a few times just because I was there in spite of the fact it seems to be choked with weeds and if you stand at waters edge your back cast is about 2 feet above the tracks.

Can't recommend it, but if you check it out, watch out for the trains, stay well down the rocks or whatever when they pass by; the suction is like standing on a curb when a Metro bus whizzes by, could ruin your day. Probably rairoad right-of-way and illegal to be there anyway.

By the way, what's the name of the creek that feeds down to the beach? Anybody got a link to local stream maps?

Saw a guy spin-casting in waders when I left...hope he was luckier than me.

5. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    I've been curious too flyfool but you're right, it wouldn't be wise to be on the tracks. The BNRR police are always there where you don't expect them to be and i'm sure the ticket isn't cheap either.

6. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Picnic Pt Creek meanders the beach. Fishing the light can be more productive than fishing the tides at PnP beach. The lake holds stunted blue gills, though many years ago a local that worked at the UW Fisheries kept it stocked with some big GMO's.

flyfool likes this.
  7. Porter

Porter Active Member

I have had a lot more success at Meadowdale than PP. This year I caught some cutties each time off Meadowdale with pink flash weighted fly and reverse spiders in yellow and orange. I have fish PP a few times too, but everytime I have gone there has been some mammal friends swimming rather close to shore.

8. David Bowerman

David Bowerman Member

Home Page:
    I've seen some nice trout come out of Picnic Point Lake -- all from gear fisherman, however, given the bank environment. I used to fish the beach there pretty regularly but found it more cold than hot, and couldn't definitively tell which tides worked best. Should get pretty good pink activity in a few weeks (as well as a lot more pressure). I don't know how Meadowdale is for salmon but I regularly catch trout there, though not always in the places where you might expect them to be.

9. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Dave, maybe you're thinking of Serene Lake, which is off Shelby Road coming from Hwy 99 on the way to Picnic Pt Beach Road. That lake is stocked yearly, with a few brood stock mixed in with the standard tanker trout.

10. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

When I was a kid growing up in Edmonds, Picnic Point Pond was sometimes the top opening day lake in the area.

Gregg Lundgren likes this.
  11. chodder

chodder www.snohoflyfishing.com

Home Page:
    I've fished Picnic Point several times for Sea Runs and had decent success using some orange shrimp like fly that I just made up the day before. Ive also caught flounder on chum fry, not the most glorious catch, but still kinda fun. Its been a few months since Ive been out there. It gets pretty crowded on sunny days, and people wont hesititate to swim right on top of your line. But if you can catch an early morning high tide it usually isnt too bad. Here's a link where you can see a pcture of that orange fly.

http://swinginpnw.blogspot.com/2013/04/picnic-point-src.html

flyfool likes this.