Meal Ideas

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Big E, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    OMG, Jimenez-you eat that shit?? But, It's way better than "c-rats"! The cans of crackers you could use for skeet, and the tropical "chocolate" you couldn't melt with a blowtorch! Them were the days! I'm just jealous because you guys get that little bottle of Tabasco Sauce.:(

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Add some pork sausage, sautéed onions & whole kernel corn to this. It was always filling in Elk camp. And I'll 2nd the frozen, pre-made meals; casseroles lend themselves well to this approach.

3. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    I like a good hardy spaghetti. Start with stew meat. It's cheap and lots of flavor. Leave the sauce runny. Precook the noodles but leave underdone. Add to sauce and freeze.

4. professori

professori self-important blowhard!!

1 can sockeye salmon
    1 16 oz. jar Alfredo sauce
    1 onion
    1/2-1 Tbsp dried dill
    1/2-1 Tbsp capers

Sautee the onion till transparent, then toss in the other ingredients and heat thoroughly. Serve over linguine or pasta of choice. Serves four hearty appetites. Fresh trout or salmon can be used, but cook fillets along with the onion and thoroughly debone and break up into small chunks before adding sauce ad herbs. Takes longer to cook the pasta than to cook the sauce (about the same time if you are using fresh fish).

John Hicks likes this.
  5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Big pot of Irish Stew with lots of meat and dipping bread

Leland.

bennysbuddy likes this.
  6. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Those things make one appreciate a good meal !

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  7. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I've never eaten MREs, but I've eaten plenty of C-Rats. They were pretty awful. I haven't been able to stuff down a lima bean since 1969. We'd open the cans with the P-38s 3/4ths of the way and heat them up on the exhaust manifold of the boat engine. Then they were hot but tasted like fuel. The packs of 4 cigarettes seemed to always be Pall Malls and were so old they were like chalk. Since we could buy cigarettes for $1.10/carton not too many of them got smoked. The chocolate had this white film/dust on it and wouldn't melt in >100 degree F weather. I wondered if they put anti-freeze in them to hide the taste of the salt peter . . .

Trapper

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  8. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    we took the cigs and the little packs of toilet paper, the chiclets and other gum, and that "tropical" chocolate to give to the people in villages we passed through, while our doc did his thing for those who needed doctoring. that stopped after a couple of villages. we came back through on a LRP, and found the VC paid them a visit after we were gone.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've had most of the C rats, the new MREs aren't bad. Some suck, but there are some decent ones. Guess perspective is different if you are forced to eat them.