Meat Grinders

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by David Prutsman, May 20, 2012.

1. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Alright gents, I need some help finding a decent meat grinder. I have tried to do some online research but there is so much out there and I am too ignorant to make any sense of it all; please educate me!

What should I look for?
    What will $250 buy me?
    What do you use/recommend, and why?
    What brands should I avoid?
    Best bang for the $$$?
    Motor size, what does it mean?
    Important attachments?

I typically harvest several animals a year (deer, elk, antelope) and would like to play around with making my own burger and sausage. I don't know that I need anything on a "professional" type level, but then again I'm ignorant.... Obviously, durability is a concern. I've used cheap department store brands and they clogged and couldn't process pork fat, I would prefer to avoid that headache again!

Also any advice (books, recipes, kits) for sausage making would be appreciated. I'm excited to begin experimenting.

Cheers,
    David

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    If you have a Kitchen Aide mixer you can get a grinder that attaches to the power take off on the front. You can get a stuffer for it also. You're probably looking for something a little more heavy duty, but it's a option.

3. ribka

ribka Active Member

I tried the Kitchen attachment and kept clogging up.

I bought a Cabelas 3/4 hp grinder. I grind about 200 lbs or more of meat a year. I would suggest to buy at least a 1/2 hp grinder.

Many good sausage recipes found on google. I prefer fresh recipes.