Med-tall waders?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jim Wallace, May 24, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    I may be in the market for some new waders by year's end. Maybe not, if my luck holds out. But I can see new ones in the not too distant future. My Dan Bailey "Lightweights" have been very good waders, except that they seem far too baggy and wide for my lanky form, them being size L, and me being an old scarecrow. I'm a hair over 6' tall and wear 32-32 jeans. I could fit two of me inside my current waders. Their looks don't bother me, but they offer a lot of wind and water resistance, and I figure that some with less material in them would weight less if I wanted to pack them into the back country.

So, what's available for an old bean pole?
  2. Stewart Skunk Happens

Spokane
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    So far I haven't found anything that seems perfect. I'm 6'1" and about 165 with a 34" inseam. I've always had a hard time finding pants other than jeans and waders don't seem to be an exception. I tried on some medium-long Orvis Silver Labels and ended up gettting "regular" large. The medium-longs seemed too snug. I just bought some large-long Silver Labels on the classifieds here and I'm really swimming in them, but they'll work. I also have a pair of large Orvis Endura waders. They aren't as baggy, and whether it's the different fabric, or the relative snugness, they have less freedom of movement than the Silver Labels.
  3. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Thanks, Stewart. Those give me something to start looking at. I'm a little over at 165 lbs myself right now, but should get back to 160 soon.

Any chance those med-long silver labels would fit better with only thermal longjohns worn underneath? Sometimes I wear hiking shorts or even jeans (if I'm fishing near the roadside) under my waders.
  4. Stewart Skunk Happens

Spokane
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    Jeans are pretty much what I wear under waders. It's been years since I tried on the med-long Silver Labels. They could do the trick. The other thing with the Silvers is they have held up vey well. They have a half dozen aqua seal spots, but they are about ten years old and still going.