Medford, OR - Guide?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by JesseC, Jul 8, 2013.

1. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +724 / 0
    Heading down there for a wedding in September and will likely be coming down with some gut wrenching food poisoning. I have my fake diahrea, vomit, and mouth foaming pills already packed.

What are a couple of good fishing guides in that area?

Can't wait.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    If I were going to Medford OR, Bob Meiser and Steve Godshall would be on my must call list. Don't follow my advice though, I'm a well known fool.
  3. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    I am not allowed to fish with Meiser because he'll bring his rods and then I will need one.
    Robert Engleheart likes this.
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Set your own foolish limitations. Enjoy the wedding!
  5. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    It's a little out of the way, but if you get the chance you should head over to the North Umpqua.
  6. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa

For sure.
  7. RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

The Rogue River
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Hey folks! I'm new to the forum. I'm fishing the Rogue River about 11 1/2 months of the year. September is just about the best time to be chasing summer Steelies around here. You should have a great time. I'm not a guide, but I could show you some simple spots with great water.
  8. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +275 / 1
    Hay Ed, Mark, Rob or Chris. Any of you remember the name of the guy with the wood driftboat? We floated the Ox bow with him. First name of Jeff. He had a blue healer. I think he floated the Rogue a lot.
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Jeff, I think you are referring to Iggy, his name is Ed, not Jeff. All good dudes are named Ed!
  10. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +874 / 0
    Whoa!!! Somebody needs a dose of Imodium!!:eek: Goes to Glacier and comes back with delusions of grandeur...
    Ed Call likes this.
  11. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +275 / 1
    That's him. Ed I guess your brush with death must have burned that day in good. Is he on this board?
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Yup, Iggy is on this board! Santaniam is his home waters, lots of Rogue time and seems to love the OP rivers too.
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    First day with my cataraft and YOU chose the Oxbow stretch...lucky it only ended with Rob's Spey rod broken. Glad to be surrounded with friends when the shit got serious. Highly educational day.
  14. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa

Did you seriously lose your shit on the oxbow?
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Row of boats, traveling too close. Made a miscalculation, missed two oar strokes and pinned sideways on a very large tree that was right on the water line. Worked the one unpinned oar and slowly moved forward sliding along that tree. Rob's rod did break due to a protruding branch and Jeff tossed me a line. When he pulled, we came off easily because the water had pushed us forward and out of the most troublesome spot.

I'm sure you've never had an on the water mishap or near mishap...except for those broken oars, right?
  16. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa

Oh man I've had plenty of them - just trying to learn. Here' a video... where did you lose it?

Looks like that big pyramid rock at the end would be a bad one...
  17. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +306 / 0
    Getting pinned under a tree is probably one of my biggest fears. Besides of course the ball sucking leeches....
  18. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa

make sure to study this very handy infographic.
    [IMG]
  19. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Fortunately I did not get pinned under. I got pinned alongside. My trouble was not in the video, it was in a very narrow area above the canyon proper. Large woody debris pile river right with most water pushing into the pile. Jeff was concerned the hydraulics would suck us down. The flows were ideal for holding us in place while we slid forward. Lucky. It was my very first day rowi g my 14' cataraft, and my very first trip down the oxbow stretch. As for the oxbow itself, two more veteran rowers than I decided we would line down midway, then float the lower most portion. I followed their lead. The flows were low that day, so there was a lot of rock exposed and skinny gaps leading to the big wave at the bottom.
  20. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +306 / 0
    Although, there's probably a bigger chance of getting raped by a meth head in the rivers I float than falling victim to the dreaded sieve-like obstacles.