Mega Bummer

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by GAT, Jul 17, 2014.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

It took me years to locate and gain permission to fish local farm lakes and ponds. Unfortunately, slowly but surely, I'm losing those fishing spots. First I lost access to a great slough off the Willamette when the owner sold the property that I used to access the slough. Another farm lake suddenly died off for bass when the bluegill disappeared... hopefully, that one will someday return.

Today was my largest hit. A very large farm just north of town included 6 lakes and ponds. The owner was very picky about who he let fish on the farm. A gravel company also leases the land for the mineral rights (gravel). I called today to get permission to fish one of the lakes this Saturday and was told that the gravel company was going through some changes and the corporate office was giving him mixed messages about the lease and the lakes that were included so the farmer no longer can allow anyone to fish on the farm.

This really, really kills my warmwater endeavors. Those lakes were my ace in the hole and the entire reason I built poppers and tied baitfish patterns.

This means I have one remaining farm lake I can fish and it is the one where the bass population has seriously declined and the bluegill are completely gone.

The loss of fishing spots is overwhelming.

Very depressing. Very depressing.

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I hear you, Gene & you have my condolences. The majority of the shoreline access to the best fly fishing areas on my home Montana lake have gradually been closed-off over the years. It's hardly worth going back there to me anymore. Locally, the Corps of Engineers & the Feds have locked gates to so many places that it's become a real challenge to fish old warm water haunts without taking a long walk. And these spots are so overgrown with weeds & brush that some type of floating transportation is an absolute necessity. As one ages, packing-in even a float tube becomes difficult at best, impossible at the worst. That seems to be the trend; preserve public land by making it difficult for the public to access it. I realize that slob users have precipitated part of the problem & shrinking budget resources limit patrol & enforcement, but it's frustrating that law-abiding, responsible sportsman are so adversely affected.

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

This is what I'll be missing:

403461020.jpg

403946235.jpg

404167706.jpg

404755140.jpg

404172052.jpg

Every year I lose yet another fishing spot for trout, steelhead, SRC and now LMB. Very Sad.

4. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Gene....there's always Freeway Lakes (#3) on the west side of I-5 to get your "warmwater on". ;)

5. jasonj

jasonj New Member

I hate losing those awesome private fishing spots. When I was a kid, my dad and I had permission to fish this little farm pond not too far from where I grew up. The owner had dairy cows that would graze near it. It appeared to be an old oxbow pond of some sort. Occasionally it would flood and the bass/sunfish fishing would suck for a year or 2, but trout (cutthroat mostly) would get washed in there somehow. One year we even saw a HUGE steelhead (had to be because it wasn't a salmon and appeared to be about 15 pounds so wasn't a rainbow or cuttie) swimming around. Tried throwing everything at it. Wasn't interested. We'd catch tons of largemouth in the 2-5 pound range. My dad caught a 9 pounder once that was insane. Crappie and perch fishing were great. We had an arrangement with the farmer. We'd make sure the fences were closed, keep an eye out for trespassers (he'd have people sneak if from the road or backside of his property), and we weren't allowed to keep the bass. We caught 2 dudes trespassing who had a stringer of 15 bass well over 4 pounds. Pretty sure they were arrested for trespassing. It was one of the saddest sights I'd ever seen. Why kill those bass? I've ate smaller bass before and they don't taste very good to me. One day when I was in high school the farmer sold the property. Found out when I was out fishing and someone called me over to the launch. It was the new owner and he said he was afraid of the "liability" of having someone fishing there and potentially drowning. What a crock of you know what! Haven't found a bass spot as great since then.

Me as a youngster with an "average" sized bass from the pond
    [​IMG]

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Jason, then you know exactly how I felt when I found out I was cut off.

Fishing spots keep disappearing....

7. jasonj

jasonj New Member

Totally feel your pain. Same thing has happened over the years with hunting spots and outdoor shooting pits. Getting harder to enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. And if you do manage to find a private area to fish/hunt they all seem to be leased out to clubs, or the owner isn't friendly because someone poached, dump trash, left his gate open, etc.