Meiser MKS

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fullerfly, Feb 22, 2008.

1. fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Sandpoint, ID
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So, Finally got to fish the MKS 13' 6/7 on the CW a few days ago.... and my thoughts are WOW!

"Lightest" feel of any spey rod I have ever fished. It turned over several different lines very well. The Skagit 450 head with 0.30" Rio Shooting line and 8 Ft. of T-14 Sent every thing flying, from small flies to 6" Weighted String Leeches. I tried several other tip combos with the 450 Skagit and they all rocked. Thanks Bob for building a truly great rod.

cal
  2. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    As I recall, no rod weights were posted on his site.If Meiser rods are truely the lightest why not provide the info to potential buyers? That lack of info was the main reason my last rod was a Sage.
  3. Kevin Giusti New Member

Fort Bragg,Ca
    Congrats on the new rod fullerfly. sashjo notice fullerfly stated "lightest" feel of any rod. While Im not sure of the actual weights of Bob Meisers rods if it was something you were wondering about Im sure the information could have been quickly obtained by either emailing or calling Mr. Meiser personally. Shame to have not considered Bobs rods for this "lack of info" from his website... A personal talk with Bob can reveal more info than can be put on any website. Enjoy that new MKS fullerfly, sure love mine@! Kevin
  4. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Nothing like a new toy from Bob. Corresponding with a fell in Scotland (yesterday); PM's he'd just ordered up a 14' "EVE" Highlander. ptyd

One happy camper.:thumb:
  5. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    I like my MKS, but light it is not. Most everyone that holds that stick mentions how heavy it is. Maybe it is "light" in the hands, but as actual weight in ounces, it is much heavier than say a z-axis or even a TFO in comparable weight and length.
  6. fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Sandpoint, ID
    Which MKS do you own?
  7. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0

Sage rods are all built with the same hardware. I believe a Meiser rod's weight will vary somewhat depending on the fittings chosen.
  8. Robert B. Meiser New Member

Medford, OR
    Thanks Poppy,

All of our rods are custom built specifically to client call outs, so finished weights can vary quite a bit dependent on components used.

... That is why we do not post finished rod weights on our website.

Another factor to consider with actual weight in hand of our finished rods is to consider the generation of the blank used for the build.

A 13'6" 7/8 MKS built on a blank from 2 or 3 years ago will weigh more in actual ounce weight then will our present 13'6" 7/8 MKS blank.

Like all rod builders universally: We are always trying to refine and improve our taper designs and material use to create lighter and more efficient tools over time.

In truth: The 13'6" 7/8 MKS will probably weigh slightly less in actual hand weight 2 or 3 years from now then does or present version ... Yet will still be an efficent casting and fishing tool.

I think all rod builders strive for that same goal.

... One pretty much has to do this in order to survive ... };^)...!!!

Meiz
  9. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Yo Tall,

Just out of curiousity I would be interested in knowing what your MKS actually weighs.
  10. Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    How much does the weight of a 2-hander matter?

I'm curious that the question of rod weight appears (in this thread) to be such an issue? I have not seen a two-hander yet that is going to win a "biggest-loser" contest. The champions in that area will always be some of the newer/shorter/lighter line-weight composite single-handers. Much like well made cane single handers, I'm yet to find that the measured weight matters much when compared to the specific two-hander's actual performance and ease of use when casting and fishing.

In looking back on my two-handed rod purchases from several rodmakers, including several of Bob's MKS series, measured rod weight was never a consideration. I have no regrets!
  11. Robert B. Meiser New Member

Medford, OR
    Well maybe what I should do is take soshjo's lead here and post blank weights on my website ...

Would'nt hurt, and I would certainly be willing to do that if guys wanted to see this information.

I just weighed the 13678MKS-4 blank and it weighs 4.2 oz with a grain window of 500 to 750.

TFG <> I beleive this is the blank that you have your rod built on.

... Maybe one generation off of our present, but the blank weight variable would be only a fraction of an ounce.

The 13067MKS blank that Cal has is a recent taper, and weighs 3.2 oz with a grain window of around 100 grains less (450 to 650) overall from the 13678MKS

Be interesting to compare those weights to other blank wts. out there of comparable length and grain carrying capbility.

My guess is some will be lighter ... Some will be heavier.

Meiz
  12. fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Sandpoint, ID
    Thanks for the info Bob, all great stuff.... I am going out to try it on those big lake run rainbows soon, then the Skagit in March.

cal
  13. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I have fished Tallfly's MKS and I do not think he is complaining about the rod, rather his lack of strength casting it. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:His favorite summer spey is a TFO 6126 with a weight of 7.9 ounces. When casting his MKS after casting the 6126, you can tell right away it is a lot heavier. Regardless he loves that rod and it is a beautiful piece of work.

[IMG]

Justin was especially not complaining when he landed this guy on that MKS last March.
  14. greyghost Member

Coastal Rivers, OR
    Seems pretty light to me, at least for the blank. A quick search of spey blanks @ Anglers Workshop shows that the only lighter blank in a comparable rod is the Sage Z-axis 7136 at 3.8 oz which I believe has a smaller grain capacity. Comparing the TFO 6126, a rod that is a foot shorter and rated for lighter lines doesn't make much sense.

Pete
  15. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    I certainly don't think Tall doesn't like his MKS but on several occaisions he has told me that he thinks it is heavy. I have MKS demo rods around here from time to time and I've never thought of them as being heavy. I'm just wondering what's different.
  16. Kevin Giusti New Member

Fort Bragg,Ca
    I agree with what Bert said. Its kinda like buying a new vehicle. You can look at all the numbers, read all the reviews go into the showroom and kick the tires, sit in it and enjoy that new car smell. But all the numbers and reviews and tire kicking doesnt ( or shouldnt) make a difference until you get that baby out on the road, open her up and see how it performs for yourself. Kevin
  17. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    I like my MKS, don't get me wrong, but when compared to other rods I've cast and others who have cast my MKS, the feeling is very mutual, it is a little "heavier" than normal. I need to weigh it.
  18. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I have a history of overuse injuries, like lateral epicondylitis, so I am more concerned about rod and reel weight than your average buyer. That is why I have a Ross 3.5 Evo with my Sage ZA.
  19. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Really what the does the weight of the finished rod matter? If you like it, it does what is asked of it, and you have it balanced to where you want it, what does it matter?

:cool:
  20. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    This thread reminds me of the old line: "A tempest in a tea cup.":rolleyes: Having the first built of two of Bob's rods, I'm quite sure that the 'weight' of mine vs the present would be quite different. So who cares?