Mentorship

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Big E, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    So it seems that there is interest on both sides. I've had some time to think about this and what everyone has said. I think perhaps the way forward is for those people who wish to mentor to PM me a short bio. This bio should have a few basic questions answered as a minimum:
    1. How long have you been tying?
    2. What style / type of flies are you interested in mentoring on?
    3. What experience level of tier are you willing to mentor? (1 - 10, 1 being a complete beginner)
    4. How are you willing to mentor? (face-to-face, online, both)
    5. If face-to-face, where do you live?
    6. Short paragraph about your tying experience.
    7. Three examples (pics) of your work. (ensure that they are inline with question #2)

Once I get these, I will post them for anyone interested and mentees can take it from there. I did consider your comments Dick but I think that if we make it a required length of time or pair people that it may be too formal. This also leaves mentees to seek out who they would like to pair with on their own. From there, the two people can work out the details allowing the mentor to be as structured as they want.

I'm also interested in any comments and suggestions.
    Bradley Miller and Gary Knowels like this.
  2. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    Sounds good, Big E.

I might suggest that people also include where they live, at least in general terms (e.g., "Bellingham" or "north King Co."), so that if folks want to contact someone to get together face to face, they can choose someone near where they live.

Edit: Oops, sorry. Somehow I skipped #5!

Dick
  3. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    i like it very much. one thing that i tell people when i teach them is first watch then fly then after i have them tie half a dozen then i tell them watch the way in witch i tie the fly then tie 6 more. then when i am tying with them again i will go back and tell them " look at how your tying the fly, you used the same tech as the other fly just in a different maner, place, or situation. when i do that with a few different flies they start taking patterns form books and tying them on their own. i still tie with them for a few more sessions but their vocab on flies and skill increases easier and it becomes more fun because they can see that they can tie the fly that they thought was impossible.
  4. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +961 / 1
    What's the qualifications for being an "experienced tyer"? I know some that have been tying for 40-50 years and while I wouldn't want any tying lessons from them but I would want fishing lessons/methods from them. Other tyers might only have 1 or 2 years tying under their belt and they are already so far beyond what I can do it's not funny.
  5. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Don't think there is any qualifications...just someone who knows more than someone else thru experience and is willing to share that information. Like you, I've seen guys that just have a gift even after a few months and make me jealous.

The point I was trying to make is that the other week we had a "who's your flytying role model" thread and quite a few people from WFF were noted that are absent from this conversation.
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +961 / 1
    I'll write up something and send it to you but I'm at best only an upper middle of the road tyer. I'm more of an on the water person
  7. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    As a fairly new fly tosser and an absolute embryonic fly tier, I like this mentoring idea. Although I can pick up a lot through books and videos, my learning style is a little more "hands on" and constructive criticism is always helpful IMHO.

I just today spent an hour or two with Mark Mercer up here on the Kitsap Peninsula and learned the basics of tying. His tips on material and technique were great and I'm excited to get into this aspect of the sport!

Thanks Mark for taking that time out of your work day to help an absolute newbie! :D
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  8. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Think I want to be Mentored by Hans on how not to stick your finger with the hook. :)
    Beachmen likes this.
  9. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    i don't think that there ever is a mentor that can teach that leason lol.