Mesh/Collapsable stripping baskets

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jake L, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Jake L New Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So I'm going to buy/make a stripping basket soon. I have looked at the other threads on the forum about it, and most of them deal mostly with plastic tub-like baskets. I am wondering why less people recommend the mesh style baskets? Do they not allow line to shoot as well? It seems to me like they would release line better than plastic tubs, but I haven't tried. Is it because of their cost? Some other use thing? It just seems to me like they would be far more portable, lightweight, and convenient. What gives? Why so little love for the mesh?
  2. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Jrlyman, the mesh tends to act like a bag, and dumps your coils together in the center of the basket which causes tangling. Also, I found winds and waves tend to push the sides over unless you have some reinforcement. They have cone inserts you could place in the bottom of the mesh to give the bottom some rigidity, and separate the coils, but then you have kind of defeated the best parts of using mesh, which was to fold it up and store it for easy carrying, and now you still have the hard plastic cones to store and carry, so might as well go with a plastic tub. Anyway, that was my take on it after trying it awhile.
  3. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    iagree

The line collects in the bottom, and nothing separates the line, so it is very prone to tangling.

They are convenient in that they pack up easily and, actually, are good to have in the bottom of your wader bag as a backup in the event you forget your rigid stripping basket. However, in my opinion, the mesh stripping basket should be a backup only.
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,475 / 9
    I've got a mesh stripping basket from William Joseph integrated into a wading belt with a retractable fiberglass rod. It is absoluely convenient when you don't have a real basket but it is merely a mesh bag in which your line piles up and eventually tangles. Outcast makes one that is firmer material, like the mesh they use on their float tubes and pontoons stripping baskets, so it is less bag like than my WJ model, but still I've seen guys use them and they are limited in elimination of tangles. So far for my untalented self the plastic kidney shaped laundry basked cut down to half height with some plastic pins epoxied through the bottom to separate line and added wading belt to keep it in place is the best for me personally. Good luck in whatever you choose to get, all will probably improve line hanging around your feet or floating in the debris of the water, but each has its own place and value I think. Remember though, I'm just a hack.
  5. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 3
    I agree that the mesh stripping baskets don't perform as well as the plastic ones, but they are better than no basket at all. I carry a mesh basket with a belt in my kayak, to use when I get out to wade from a beach. I store it in the front hatch, where it's out of the way and won't fall overboard. When I hike into a beach, the plastic basket is my choice.

Tom
  6. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    Another vote for the hard plastic baskets.
  7. In_too_deep Member

Inuvik, NWT
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Best of both, or worst?

[IMG]

The plate reduces the tangling by a factor of 10 when using more than 60 feet of shooting line.
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    In too deep, that is a great and light weight looking modification to your WJ wading belt retractable basket. I'm going downstairs right now to find an unsed piece of thick exercise mat and punch some zip ties through the bottom. You say it works better than without the insert. Are there 10% less tangles meaning still a lot of tangles, or are there 90% less tangles leaving the 10%? I'm not clear on your statement. Thanks for clarification and sharing your mod. I'm leaving for MT tomorrow...planning on taking my WJ, now will mod it to make it even more tolerable. Even tangly it is better than no basket. It also is a much better fresh/small water basket as you tend to strip much less aggressively than on the beach.
  9. In_too_deep Member

Inuvik, NWT
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    1. It is much better with the plate in the bottom of the basket.
    2. Tangles are reduced by a factor of 10.

It helps a lot if the first 3 feet of line from the reel are outside the basket before the rest of the shooting line is stripped into the basket. Then when you start double hauling, the neat pile of line in the bottom of the basket is undisturbed before shooting.
  10. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Sweet. I added some grey exercise mat foam, ten upright fingers and I even made a plastic bar that keeps the front of the WJ fiberglass rod from dipping thereby keeping the basket mesh straight. I might test it out on my MT trip in the next couple of days. Again, thanks for the photo, it could change my whole impression on my mesh bag stripping basket.
  11. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    Check out the HMH "shooting basket". It's on the advertisement that appears as a pop up on this site. It offers "shooting loops" or some such as an accessory that clips into the mesh bottom to reduce tangles, and is not as deep as other mesh baskets I've used, so might shoot more line. It's not going to provide the distance that a hard basket does, but might be handier for the portability and the size. I don't always need a 90' cast, but usually want a basket to get any casting done at all from the beach.
  12. Rackaholic New Member

Seattle, Washington
    Mumbles-Have you ever heard of a product called core-x. I think it would be perfect for this application, probably better than the exercise mat. A lot of campaign signs are made out of core-x. It's corugated which gives it more rigidity, but extremely light. It comes in sheets of 4' x 8', which I realize isn't exactly convenient when you only need 12" x 24" or so, and is available at Blackstock Lumber I think. Just trying to help.
  13. Jake L New Member

Sammamish, WA
    Why buy a butt-load when you can simply take up interest in one of the local politician's campaigns?
  14. damian_39@yahoo.com New Member

Kilauea, Hawaii
    Where can you buy stripping baskets?
  15. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Damian,
    Just about any fly shop will carry the mesh baskets. As far as hard plastic type, Orvis is your best bet. You can also make your own out of a rubbermaid dish pan for about $5.00.
  16. Rackaholic New Member

Seattle, Washington
    I agree, thats why I mentioned it, but not all campaigns use this, the "good stuff". Maybe if you could get a few guys who needed it to go in on a sheet together it would be worth it. I think a 4 x 8 sheet of it costs about $12-$15.
  17. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    Had to bring up this thread to show the benefits of a mesh stripping basket. Collapsible, lightweight, very packable. I made the ABS plastic inserts to fit inside the net with zip ties and can easily be removed to prevent line tangles. My HMH even has a nice travel pouch that can hold all the line tanglers and the basket, which is plenty high enough.
  18. Randy Lindahl Member

:P
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Good idea YellowLab, I have also tried a number of ways to keep the tangles away. After all the pains and the wild thought process, I 'm now going to purchase a hard plastic stripping basket.
    Randy
  19. Tom Arroll Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Hi,

I have one of the William Joseph mesh stripping baskets and have not been very happy with it. I will definitely try to add a rigid bottom with line separators as some you you have. Besides the line tangling issues the William Joseph basket is a little small in circumference for my stripping style. I have seen some other mesh baskets that are larger and shallower than what I have and would like to ty them out. I usual use my Orvis grey tub basket which I am happy with for the most part. I do tend to whack my fingers on the edge of the bucket when I am stripping fast. I also need to drill some holes because it fills with water whe I get hit by waves and get heavy. I now bring my rigid basket when I travel and put my reels and other items that want to protect from the bagage handlers.

Thomas
  20. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Tom,
    Lossen the belt on your Orvis basket and let it hang lower on your waist and / or slightly to the side. That should eliminate the issue of striking the edge with your fingers while stripping.
    Brian