Mesh/Collapsable stripping baskets

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jake L, Jun 30, 2008.

1. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    About 2 1/2" by 1/2"

They come in different sizes so you should be able to get what you want. After spending a hour in the hardware store trying to find something that is tapered (cone shaped) I gave up and settled on these. I considered using some really small funnels but couldn't come up with a good way to attach them to my basket.

2. Jake L

Jake L New Member

So I've decided to go cheap, and use a piece of tupperware or a crate I have here. I'm wondering how small of a basket is too small. I'm using a standard WF line, no shooting head. And as my casting skills aren't the greatest I rarely would have more than sixty feet of line in the basket. I think too small would increase tangles, but what if I have some cones or zips or something to reduce it? In every other way it seems smaller is better right? Any experience with too small?

ps, I'm amazed at how long this thread has stayed alive. I hope it has enough life left to get this question answered.

Oh ya and the dimensions I'm looking at here are a plastic milk crate that is 9 1/2" by 7" by deep enough. The tupperware container is 13 1/2" by 7 1/4" by deep enough.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    My laundry basket version is about 18" wide, 15" fore to aft and I've cut it down to about 5" deep. My newest outcast is a bit smaller than that. My william joseph is even smaller at about 12" wide and opens to about 10" fore to aft.

I've never used the hard LL Bean or Orvis ones, but have seen many guys on the beach with them. If you can find their meausrements you may want to replicate them as they are smaller but many seem to like them.

Good luck.

4. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Spend $5 and get a Rubbermaid dish pan. The dish pan is usually waaay lighter and less clunky than a crate.

IMHO, when possible larger, tapered cones are better.

5. Jake L

Jake L New Member

Well the crate I have is not quite a milk crate. Its very light, but I think too small. I'll go with the tupperware container or like you said a dishpan would be just right huh?... off to go build it.

6. Ed Call

Media:
    You want to try one first? You can certainly try any of the three options I have. The laundry basket is probably the best overall...it ain't sexy, but it catches my wild stripping and keeps tangles to a minimum.

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    To much modification going on in this thread for baskets folks are buying. Aren't these mesh baskets supposed to work when you buy them without being modified?
    I'm just giving you guys shit. I also like to mess around with and modify my gear. :D

Really though, when it comes to stripping baskets, save yourself the hassle. Either do the $5.00 rubbermaid or wait for Leland to send you a $25.00 off your next $50.00 purchase at Orvis. Then you can get one of their ready to use baskets for $35.00. The only modification needed might be to drill some drain holes, if you are so inclined.
    After using a hard basket for years, I don't think I'd ever go back to mesh again.

8. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    I have lightly modified my stripping basket with a small
    solar powered fridge to keep my beer and catch cold.

David

9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Only you Dave!

10. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Oh, and it displays my Hello Kitty stickers nicely.

11. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Ok, decided to take a few pics of mine.. Total cost around 5 bucks and after two years I couldn't be happier with it. The dishpan came from wallmart and had most of the holes in it already, I only added a few in the bottom. I used weed-whacker line to keep the tangles at bay. I melted the ends flat and stuck them up through some tight fitting holes in the bottom and melted the top end round so I don't poke my hand on them. The size seems perfect, I don't get many tangles and it looks pretty good for a home jobber. I wear it low on my waist and a bit to the left for maximum stripping action :thumb:
    If you see me wearing it, come say hi! :beer2:

12. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

If you see someone wearing the basket in the previous post, it might be MtnWkr, or it might be me. I have exactly the same basket. Got mine at Ace Hardware and used tie wraps rather than weedwhacker mono. Other than that, identical. It's the only basket I've ever used, so I don't know how it compares to others. Still, seams to work just fine. I like the holes in the side as it makes it easy to flush any sand and seaweed that gets in there.

13. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    I also use that same set up

14. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    I tried several times to use "Belly Baskets" and just never liked 'em. I really didn't like the effect when hit by a wave or swell, which sometimes can almost knock you over!
    I know most (all) of you younger guys may have never been shown how to manage line by hand, and, it's not something easly explained.
    I was shown, years ago, by a gentleman who at the time was about the age I am now (don't ask)
    Anyway, line can be kept off the water without a stripping basket. :eek:
    When stripping in line, loops, can be formed and held in a way that allows for easy and quick retrival, with out tangles, and for me it works better than any other.
    Not saying it's a better way, just another way.
    The basic idea is to start with the bigger loop and make each progressive loop smaller as line is stripped in, holding the top of each loop against your palm with three fingers, while stripping with thumb and index finger.
    Just like good casting, good line management takes practice but once learned, it makes for better results in both salt and fresh water.
    Learning to ride a bicycle with training wheels is ok, but, riding with out them is so much better.;)

LB

15. Randy Lindahl

Randy Lindahl Member

Thanks papafsh, I had the pleasure to fish with an 80 year old gentleman who also kept his line in his hand and was having no problems. Hmmm...maybe I'll have to give it a try...Stick around I may have some questions.
    Thanks, Randy

16. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    iagree Stonefish speaks the gospel.

Best advice so far in this whole discussion. :thumb:

17. Ed Call

Media:
    Not that anyone cares, but I added some golf tees as line separators for my shallow but wide outcast mesh basket. Yard testing seems to promote very good results. I drilled tiny pilot holes in the recessed golf tee head then put screws through washers and then through the bottom. Added nearly no weight, how much does a few golf tees and screws weigh, easier to spin around than the hard plastic version of mine and gave me something to work on while the kids were in the tubby.