Metal Yard Art

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Loren Jensen, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    i know right!!!!!!!!
  2. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    I want about a two foot fish with my street numbers cut out to hang on my porch.
    Gett'er done and PM me
    O' PM me first for the street #'s
    I don't trust all these WFF members with my address.
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,707 / 0
    Obviously?

So when I was a student, I didn't know what it was like to be me? Sounds crazy to me. The cash I earned was never easy, never fast, nor was it the result of quality art. The notion that it could be still seems like a disconnect to me.
  4. Loren Jensen Active Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    ok i will see what i can do

ok, so we don't know any of eachother, so why argue? you aren't interested so quit beating around the bush, trying to start problems. some people want some of my basic "quality built", not necessarily designed art.
  5. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +412 / 2
    You need to put up a pic of something you have done.
  6. Loren Jensen Active Member

workin on them right meow
  7. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,707 / 0
    SB32,

In my first post I reacted to your statement that seemed incongruous to me. In my second post I responded to a statement about me. I'm not arguing with anyone. When you qualified your "fast cash" as about five months, that made a big difference. When someone takes about making fast easy cash, I usually think that translates into about one day and little effort. Otherwise it's neither fast nor easy. Anyway, good luck with your art. I like art, so I guess that's why your post caught my eye.

Sg
  8. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    On the Bitterroot is a fly shop/house belonging to John Foust, a legendary guy in that area. He has a 5' high Royal Wulff metal sculpture in his yard. I don't know if you could do that, but a hook with metal spikes welded circumferentially for the hackle, some metal tail fibers etc would be very cool! Sorry I don't have a picture of that one! rick
  9. Loren Jensen Active Member

thank you for clarifying. i hope i didn't come off as hostile. it's just that if i can sell a lot of art this semester, i can spend less time working this summer, and more time on the road to spend more time on the water. i posted this up because i figured you guys would be interested. in every piece i will make, i will put the same amount of effort into every piece. i don't want to earn a bad name for myself. i have worked a lot for only being 17, and i want to be an entrepeneuer (spelling?)

thanks for the good luck, i will need a lot!

Loren
  10. Loren Jensen Active Member

i'll go over this with my teacher. i could see this being cool. would you want one 5ft tall? and do you remember how much he was charging?

thanks rick

Loren
  11. mr. bad example Member

poulsbo
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    as someone who has been making metal art for nearly 40 years i couldn't agree more...
  12. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    He wasn't doing sculpture, it was just a sign for his fly shop so it wasn't for sale. I would want it 3 ft tall or so, maybe on a metal pedestal I could sink in concrete. It could be any fly if one would be easier to fabricate. (although a chironomid would be kind of boring!)
  13. Loren Jensen Active Member

i talked to my teacher. he said this would be a pretty long project. i will keep in touch about it though..
  14. Kerfwappie Member

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    At least he's got gumption. Doesn't sound like he's glued to a video screen with a game controller in his sweaty Cheetos stained hands, putting a permanant indention into someones couch. An appreciation of true art will come with the experience of creating his own and the acceptance of it by others. After all, it's in the eye of the beholder.

Eric

Disclaimer: I'm typing after tipping a few.
  15. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +412 / 0
    Rick, break open the piggy bank and have it made out of Corten. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel The product is aesthetially pleasing, and has a super long wear life.

You could have Loren design it and get it built for you, still, I hope no one thinks I'm trying to run around the industrous young man here.

..a pic to show Corten for those that are curious:

[IMG]
  16. Loren Jensen Active Member

do you always write that creatively after having a few brewskies?

no worries man, i made this post for simple yard art, not custom signs and stuff, i am no where near that advanced yet. maybe one day.

i will post my sketches tomorrow.
  17. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    I looked at Corten as siding on my cabin in Winthrop but it was just too expensive for our two story 30' x 52' building! I agree that it is very cool. We do have a 10" x 10" 32' long rusted I beam supported by two 8" square tubes for our patio roof support and that is one of the best things on our cabin! My wife has been combing the metal recycler here in Whatcom County and has come up with several pieces of rusted metal that we have put in the ground over there-kind of "found" art. Rick
  18. mr. bad example Member

poulsbo
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    hey, i"m not trying to squish the kid, just reminding him that a little humbleness is a good thing to offset all the brashness.........anybody that enjoys working with their hands and their imagination is alright with me.time for some cheetos..........
  19. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Ditto! When you have something figured out, I'd like to know, as well.
  20. Loren Jensen Active Member

do you guys want like a solid fish with number cut outs or a tad bit more detailed fish with numbers hanging? i'll throw up some sketches tonight if i figure out my scanner